1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

taking longer to start

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 10:06 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
taking longer to start

this morning i got up and turned the radio on in my truck and put the trailer light plug back on my truck(took me about 10 minutes) and messed with my licence plate light that won't work for some reason and got in the truck to start it and what do you know... dead batteries. got another truck pulled up and hooked up jumper cables. let it sit for about 20 minutes and it finally started right up. ran it over to my bosses house to pick up the trailer and it took a little longer to start after i hooked up the trailer. from that point on for the rest of the day it has been taking longer to start than normal. the truck hasn't completely cooled down for the whole day, but when i got home i checked the fuel filter... black. drained the fuel canister and cleaned it up a little on the inside and cleaned the fpr screen and replaced the filter. checked the oil... low... about 3 quarts low... filled it back up with oil.. still starting the same way though. HPOP was full. oil needs to be changed since it has about 4000 miles on it right now.

i thought it might be ipr o-rings again b/c it started just fine when the engine was cold this morning once i got the batteries charged up. i will see how it starts in the morning. didn't check fuel pressure yet, but i will do that in the morning as well b/c i have to buy a cheap tire pressure guage. any other ideas for me to check on it?

Old 09-29-2008, 10:43 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
If I remember right, those batteries are pretty old aren't they? And when you left the shop the other night, I could have swore it sounded like you have that thing ICP'ed all to hell again. If so, you know what the problem is.........

Old 09-30-2008, 09:59 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
cody, since the injector install not one resistor has touched the engine, but with the programmer it starts like it's got all that sh** on it then drops to a regular idle again. the batteries are about 2 years old, but for some reason this thing has been horrible about the terminals getting corroded. that's not what the problem was yesterday, but i still had to clean them again. Maybe it's time for some optima red tops?

Old 09-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
cody, since the injector install not one resistor has touched the engine, but with the programmer it starts like it's got all that sh** on it then drops to a regular idle again. the batteries are about 2 years old, but for some reason this thing has been horrible about the terminals getting corroded. that's not what the problem was yesterday, but i still had to clean them again. Maybe it's time for some optima red tops?
If it only took 10 or so mins of key on doinkin around to run down the batts ,,I might look there first ...clean the terminals & the grounds ,,have the alt tested ...

Old 09-30-2008, 01:31 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
but for some reason this thing has been horrible about the terminals getting corroded.
Have the charging system checked. If it's overcharging...the batteries may be boiling and
releasing excessive fumes....that can cause corrosion.
Are the tops of the batteries damp?? and covered with dirt in short period?
Overfilling them will cause it too.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clean the terminals and coat them with grease. KY or vaseline works well. It should stop corrosion since corrosion needs oxygen to form.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:52 PM
Gobstopper909
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Neal 97 250
KY or vaseline works well..
HAHA you are right about that one neal!!! im sorry, in all seriousness, a solution of baking soda and water has worked for me to take the corrosion off

Old 10-01-2008, 06:58 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is great cleaner as well.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:13 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
i do get loads of corrosion on my batteries in a short period of time and the tops are kinda damp with some dirt and what not on there. is that from over charging? i just put a new alternator on it a few months ago. and it doesn't seem to charge as good as my original one, but what do you expect from something that say ACDelco on it... (was short on money at the time.)

Now, i put a used ipr valve in the truck last night that i got from a friend that works at ford. Paid him 30 bucks for it b/c i needed the truck back asap and ford couldn't have me a set of ipr o-rings until today. i put that ipr in and after fighting some fpr o-ring issues(thanks cody for the o-ring) we finally got the truck running with only as many fuel leaks as it had before we started working on it(fuel pump is leaking again). here is a question, if the ipr was from a super duty or something would it make my truck lope at idle? it idles fine for a second then slowly developes a lope, then after loping for a bit it will go back to a regular idle... keeps doing that. at first it was missing out if i would rev it up lightly to about 2000 rpms, but after driving it and keeping the rpms up around 2400 rpms while on the test drive i guess took some air out of the fuel system. truck runs great as always, but that lope idle kinda worries me a little bit. sorry for the long post, thanks guys

Old 10-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i do get loads of corrosion on my batteries in a short period of time and the tops are kinda damp with some dirt and what not on there. is that from over charging?
I would say yes, but you need to have it checked to be sure. If it's charging @ 14.4 - 14.6 V or higher all the time then the batteries may be boiling the water and venting excessive fumes. Some batteries seem to corrode more often than others.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:43 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
i will do a check on the charging system later today. thanks guys