6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Ford refuses DPF problem, HELP!

Old 05-05-2009, 08:27 PM
a64armt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions:
Don't most dealerships have EPA emissions test stations?
Would the exhaust emisions test station pick up the additional soot not captured by the DPF?
Can you insist they perform an exhaust emissions test?

If the vehicle fails emissions tests, then by law they have to address it.

Vincent

Old 05-06-2009, 03:35 PM
PHXDiesel
Senior User
I thought you would all be interested in pics of a Job1 6.4l's exhaust tips that have over 30k miles on them. They are completely clean with no hint of soot. This is what your exhaust should look like.

BTW, I pull a 35' toy hauler, and have a heavy foot.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:48 PM
rocke36
Freshman User
A lot of guys are having the same problem

Originally Posted by Cass
I have an 08 Job 1 F-350 Lariat that I just turned over 29,000 on in 13 months. It has been strictly Dealer Serviced. After this last oil change we took a short trip, to see our son at college, about 400 miles one way. On the way back, I have noticed that I seem to be over full on oil and it appears to be a little "Thin" as well. I have ordered a Blackstone Test Kit. Today, with the windows down and parked between two Containers the when I do a slight rev and let off I have a "Whistle" as the engine RPM's come back down, and the exhaust is more then a little Gray.

Cass
Theres quite a few other guys that are experiencing the same issue. Try checking out this thread.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...aking-oil.html

Old 05-12-2009, 09:48 AM
jaybread
Senior User
DPF filter is designed to an engineered efficiency level. It filters to a specific micron level to pass EPA particulate matter (soot) size.

It does not matter how heavy your foot is or what you tow, the filter's efficiency is unchanged. The only variable is regen frequency.

If you are seeing black soot build up in your pipe, your dpf media is damaged and allowing some level of bypass.

I would urge anyone having trouble with dealer to "bypass" the dealer and contact Ford's regional office and/or the epa phone number in the emissions warranty booklet.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:46 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jaybread
DPF filter is designed to an engineered efficiency level. It filters to a specific micron level to pass EPA particulate matter (soot) size.
I'm curious, how does ceramic filter? And with the relative values that we are given for backpressure readings at a specific speed/load, why aren't they picked up by the sensors if the dpf is broken? KOEO-0 psi....hot idle-0.21 psi.....30 mph-0.66 psi....55 mph-1.18 psi. Please, a little less "internet diagnostics". Just stick with the facts!

Old 05-12-2009, 01:12 PM
jaybread
Senior User
Ceramic Filter?

Filter media design=the pore size equal to that needed to trap the PM at the micron level required. How else?

How do HEPA filters work? How about sand filters on pools? How about stainless steel oil filters? The DPF on diesels is a trap set to regenerate itself using heat.

The pressure sensors are simple, measuring values at different points in the exhaust to determine system status and regen times.

I don't get the non-fact part. This is basic info, like the sky is up, GM is a Zombie company, stuff like that.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:19 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Originally Posted by jaybread
Filter media design=the pore size equal to that needed to trap the PM at the micron level required. How else?

How do HEPA filters work? How about sand filters on pools? How about stainless steel oil filters? The DPF on diesels is a trap set to regenerate itself using heat.

The pressure sensors are simple, measuring values at different points in the exhaust to determine system status and regen times.

I don't get the non-fact part. This is basic info, like the sky is up, GM is a Zombie company, stuff like that.
Ceramic is solid, it doesn't filter. If the dpf was broken, there wouldn't be backpressure (at least not as much as is supposed to be).https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ilpipes-3.html (post #31)

Old 05-12-2009, 01:34 PM
jaybread
Senior User
It isn't a solid piece--Here are a few quotes from DPF design companies.

"Ceramic Honeycomb cordierite DPF, which consists of parallel channels, separated by thin walls made of porous cordierite. The channels are open at one end, but plugged at the other. During operation, the exhaust gases are forced to flow through the thin walls and leave particulates trapped in the filter walls. Cordierite DPF is mainly used in the diesel engine automobile to solve the air pollution problem."

"Conventional diesel soot filters usually consist of cylindrical ceramic blocks crisscrossed by numerous channels. A block of this kind cannot be made in one piece. Instead, individual quadratic honeycomb segments are bonded together to form a large block. The bonds act as expansion joints that offset the temperature stresses during operation. This is vital, for a solid ceramic block would break apart."

Old 05-12-2009, 01:38 PM
jaybread
Senior User
There is development of dpf's using gel-cast ceramic foam!!

"Gel-cast ceramic foams potentially offer a more robust configurable alternative filtration medium to monolithic wall flow filters (WFFs) for the reduction in particulate matter (PM) emissions from diesel internal combustion engines. The fundamental back pressure and filtration efficiency characteristics of gel-cast ceramic foam diesel particulate filters (DPFs) have been investigated. Methodology is developed for the first time that allows the calculation of the effect of local PM loading on the pressure drop characteristics from experimental data without problems caused by the non-uniform PM loading in the filter that can be applied to all depth bed filtration media. The back pressure and filtration efficiency relationships were used to develop graphical design spaces to aid development of application-specific DPFs. Effects of PM distribution on the pressure drop of the filter are presented. Filters with a non-even distribution of PM were found to have lower pressure drops than filters with an evenly distributed PM for the same average specific PM loadings. The predictions showed that gel-cast ceramic foams can achieve comparable back pressure, filtration volume, and PM holding capacity with WFFs with a lower filtration efficiency of about 80 per cent. The model demonstrated that greater than 90 per cent filtration efficiency can be achieved with filter volumes of about 0.6 times the volume of a WFF with a lower PM holding capacity."

Old 05-12-2009, 03:28 PM
vloney
Postmaster

So, again, why doesn't a cracked/broken dpf create a low backpressure condition?

Old 05-12-2009, 03:50 PM
66stang351
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vloney
So, again, why doesn't a cracked/broken dpf create a low backpressure condition?
It probably depends on the amount of cracking. The DPF is designed to have fairly low backpressure to begin with and depending on how much soot is trapped already backpressure might be maintained...and even continue to increase as some soot is still trapped...even with a crack.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:58 PM
jaybread
Senior User
That's a great question--There are many variables.

How sensitve is the system--how low does the BP need to be to generate a code?
Does the leak occur all the time, or only when the temp goes up during regen? Or, viceversa?

I can't answer the question, it may well create a low BP condition but it isn't consistent or low enough to set a code.

I am not a Ford Diesel Tech, but I am very familiar with the EPA and environmental law.
If the DPF fails and doesn't set a code that notifies the consumer of the failure, then Ford has an EPA problem.

The OP was about black soot in the pipe. The DPF is fine enough that visible soot should never be apparent in the exhaust. We are assuming a DPF leak, when maybe more possibilites exist?

A DPF leak is the most common cause, but is it the only one? Is the OP describing the problem correctly? I don't know. I am just adding info to the discussion.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:38 PM
benmoderow
Tuned
dpf removal

anyone removed the dpf and installed a tuner to clear the regeneration codes? I've heard you get incredible mpg gains and power increase but I don't want to damage my truck in any way. Also, does it void the warantee and would it be detectable?

Old 05-15-2009, 10:07 PM
PHXDiesel
Senior User
Originally Posted by benmoderow
anyone removed the dpf and installed a tuner to clear the regeneration codes? I've heard you get incredible mpg gains and power increase but I don't want to damage my truck in any way. Also, does it void the warantee and would it be detectable?
Several people around here have done a DPF delete with tuner. Yes you get a significant gain in MPG, and I can't think of anyone that has broken anything by having it in place.

Yes it voids your warranty. DPF delete would be for off-road use only. Spartan Diesel Tech sells an extremely solid product that is pretty much the most popular tuner I've seen. You can get a DPF delete pipe and a stock tune with the Regenerations removed for a good deal. This wouldn't add any power, but just allow you to remove the DPF and get better mileage. Of course that would be for off-road use only. People are seeing MUCH better mileage gains with their higher HP tunes though. Something to think about.

I'm sure there are ways Ford can find out if you've modded your truck, but I have yet to hear or read of anyone being flagged for it.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:00 PM
benmoderow
Tuned
Of course it would be for off road use, how dare anybody mess with the all mighty EPA I have actually been doing alot of research on the spartan and have found absolutly nothing bad. I guess from my point of view, how can I be doing damage to my truck by making it breathe easier and run more efficiently. I have read that ford actually makes a dpf removal kit but does not sell it the general public. As far as the warantee issue, that may be a risk I'm willing to take, I have 20,000 miles on my truck and the only problem I've had is with the stupid dpf. Anyone know if there is an advantage to doing a dpf/cat removal as compared to just a dpf removal? Strictly for off road use of course.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford refuses DPF problem, HELP!