New job!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 08:40 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
New job!

Hello all,

Well, it has finally happened. I have finally gotten a decent paying job. No more two hours a day slinging burgers at Wienerschnitzel! From now on I will be driving an 18 wheeler across this beautiful country of ours. We are leaving tonight for West Virginia, and should be back Monday or Tuesday of next week.

I don't have my laptop yet it as it is still in the pawn shop, so I will not be able to check in on this trip. However, after I have a paycheck or two under my belt, I will get it out and buy a wireless card for it so I can check in when we get to the truck stops.

This job is going to pay $500 a week, which is basically 4x what I made a month at Wienerdog. So now I will finally be able to put some money into the Ranger instead of letting it sit and collect dust.

The truck is a 2009 Kenworth, and my neighbor and his son will also be driving it. We will be a 3 man team, as my neighbor is 62 and has trouble driving at night. This way we can keep the truck on the road 24 hrs a day and shorten some of those long cross-country trips (like the one we are going on tonight).

Who knows maybe I'll be able to meet some FTE'ers across the country. However, I suspect that won't happen until I am able to take the laptop with me so we can arrange a meet. So if you don't see any posts from me for awhile it is because I am crossing the country in a brand new Kenworth.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:28 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool, Jim...! I didn't even know you had a class A license. Nothing like doing a little traveling, seeing the country and making bucks all at the same time! 'Bout time things turned around for you...

Old 09-17-2008, 01:37 AM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good deal... Nothing like getting paid to travel!

Old 09-17-2008, 10:29 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats Jim!! Have a safe trip. Keep your log book current and legal.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:21 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Awesome Jim,

Once you get experience, you can start looking around and easily double that pay along with benefits.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:19 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on the gig Jim. Keep your eyes open for my new retirement home location.

And Dan, I never heard anything about a class A license. Jag

Old 09-24-2008, 04:38 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Class A? What do I need a class A license for? Everyone knows A is for Automobile, B is for Bus, and C is for commercial.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:20 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you see an 81 F150 tailgating you, it's just me drafting you, trying to save on gas.

Congrats on the gig in the rig.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:19 PM
mcculloughrp
Senior User
Awesome!!! Congradulations.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:15 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by sierraben
If you see an 81 F150 tailgating you, it's just me drafting you, trying to save on gas.

Congrats on the gig in the rig.
Thanks. I used to do that in the Ranger when it was running. Get as close to the back of a big rig as was safely possible to try and save on gas.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:07 AM
JMH
New User
Originally Posted by Nighteyez
Thanks. I used to do that in the Ranger when it was running. Get as close to the back of a big rig as was safely possible to try and save on gas.
Hey,

I drive big rigs for a living and can personaly tell ya you have about a cars length worth of draft room to run off of. But i have to warn you guys, about 90 % of the trucks out there on the road Dont use padlocks on the trailer doors, and theres about 10 % of them that dont have a very good latch on the kingpin and fifth-wheel. The loads that range between 20,000 and 45000 lbs have a slight probability of busting thru the doors. alot of it is canned goods and juices ect. Alot of these trailers out there are only secured by an aluminum (seal) strip that only secures by sliding into place like a ziptie. Just a fair warning to be careful when your tailing a big-truck. If you cant see their driver mirror, your too close. the handles on the doors have a tendancy to want to rattle loose and alot of drivers have lost thousands of pounds worth of merchandise. BECAREFUL Guys.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:11 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Congratulations on the job Jim! Good for you. I always had faith that things would eventually come around for you.
And with a class A license, you can always work winters plowing snow for Cal Trans too. Just another opportunity to consider...
With that truck driving job, you'll be able to afford that lap top computer now.

Big wheels keep on turnin'. Happy trails.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JMH is right about the drafting distance. I learned that back in 1980 on a trip to Arkansas. With the nose of my car about 20 feet from the back of the trailer there was neglible air flow. But it made the truckers too nervous that I was going to die if something fell off So, no tailgating for me. Good luck, Jim

Old 09-29-2008, 07:05 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

What about driving a Lotus Europa under the trailer of a big rig.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

According to Mythbusters 10 feet behind the trailer got the best gas mileage. Of course they repeated over and over that NOBODY should ever drive that close to the back of a semi. They did it under controlled conditions. However, they also stated that it was possible to get close enough and be safe, and still improve your mileage. Since I have not been driving for the past two months (Ranger needs a fuel pump) I have not been anywhere near a moving semi.

Quick Reply: New job!