Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need help choosing a truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 09:08 AM
Nader
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need help choosing a truck

Hi all. I'm looking for a 7.3 PSD truck to simultaneously carry a camper and haul an enclosed car or horse trailer. I'm seeking an automatic, crew cab, long bed 4x4, F-350 SRW, less than 200K miles. Will be used as a workhorse, not a daily driver.

I've used the search function and know enough to avoid the 6.0, and am aware of the CPS and maybe a couple of other issues (weak tranny?). I'm looking for advice on which year of truck is preferable, which options are detrimental, known weaknesses, etc. Is there a particularly strong year of manufacture for these trucks?

Thanks!

Old 09-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

You want to do all that with a SRW?
You really need to consider a dually if you are going to be carrying a camper and pulling a trailer at the same time.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:16 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
welcome to FTE..you came to the right place....here is all you need to know..like KWIKK said think about DRW...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...questions.html

Old 09-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Nader
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for that link, it's helpful.

I'd like to avoid a dually. I hardly have the space for a full size truck. In this crowded suburb, my driveway is chock-full of old sports cars and motorcycles under attractive bright blue covers and tarps, and I somehow have two trailers squeezed in there in addition to the wife's trusty but ugly 4Runner. Yeah, my fussy neighbors with the Priuses and Volvos barely tolerate me. Especially when the wife and I have minibike races in the front yard. Well, that's more info than you fellas need to know.

More practically speaking, I'd be carrying a lighter camper, the towing will be <5K lbs, and I'd like to maintain some semblance of reasonable mileage. So, no dually.

I saw somewhere a guy was congratulated on his new purchase for having a floor mounted transfer case selector as opposed to the dash mounted switch. Is that switch really a weak point? I've got my eye on a Lariat with that option.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by Nader
Thanks for that link, it's helpful.

I'd like to avoid a dually. I hardly have the space for a full size truck. In this crowded suburb, my driveway is chock-full of old sports cars and motorcycles under attractive bright blue covers and tarps, and I somehow have two trailers squeezed in there in addition to the wife's trusty but ugly 4Runner. Yeah, my fussy neighbors with the Priuses and Volvos barely tolerate me. Especially when the wife and I have minibike races in the front yard. Well, that's more info than you fellas need to know.

More practically speaking, I'd be carrying a lighter camper, the towing will be <5K lbs, and I'd like to maintain some semblance of reasonable mileage. So, no dually.

I saw somewhere a guy was congratulated on his new purchase for having a floor mounted transfer case selector as opposed to the dash mounted switch. Is that switch really a weak point? I've got my eye on a Lariat with that option.
It's called ESOF (electronic switch on the fly). It is vacuum operated and known to give a lot of trouble, failing when you need it most.
The vacuum ruins the front hub bearings because they pull water into the wheel bearing during use.