Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Another tranny thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Benny2002
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Another tranny thread

I did the switch to schaffers today thx to Jharvey great guy btw.

Anyway my problem or might not be we'll see. I got it all done and fired up the truck to test it all out and the first concern was the temp went up faster than it did with the dino fluid. Maybe synthetic does that not sure. But i think something is wrong.

I put in a napa filter, it was plastic and had small differences in it compared to the metal one that came out. Maybe thats why its running hot?

I only drove it probably 10 miles and temps got to 160 stop and go in florida heat. Not a lot faster than dino but faster.

I figured the syn fluid wouldnt run as hot hence buying it? When i pulled the pan i had probably an 1/8th of black goo and metal shavings on the magnet, not sure if thats normal either. It had been about 40K since it was last serviced.

I believe i have the correct amount of fluid in there and cant for the life of me figure out what went wrong? Anyone help me out?

Old 09-13-2008, 10:26 PM
zack7.3
Elder User
When I changed mine I had a lot of goo on the magnet too. I don't know if it got warm faster or not. When I was running syn in mine my tranny ran about 165 and now with my new tranny and dino fluid it runs about 175. I wanna change back to syn and see if it brings the temps back down.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:42 PM
Benny2002
Posting Guru
bump, anyone else?

Old 09-14-2008, 09:58 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I just pulled my trannypan, been running syn since the get go, I have no goo, no shavings. Synthetic normally has a higher detergent level, and yes, it normally runs cooler ( better lubercation). Sitting here thinking, I would wonder if you should go ahead and do another flush and fill of your tranny fluid. If possibly you didnt get all of the old fluid out..

Old 09-14-2008, 12:07 PM
Benny2002
Posting Guru
Update, im almost positive all the old fluid is out, could be a quart or so but not much. The schafers is supposed to blend with any old left in there.

I ran it pretty good for an hour around town, stop go, freeway, and inbetween. Pulled in the driveway and level is right in the middle for HOT status.

Temps stayed at 158ish on the highway but when i got back into town and headed to the house they climbed to 180 when i pulled in the driveway.

Ironically thats about what the old fluid would normally do, the only difference is on long straight aways dino would cool back down to around a 170 due to the cooler. The syn didnt seem to it just slowly kept climbing.

The tranny shifts the same maybe even a little faster than dino, and no O/D light flashing.

Im at a loss. The only things different are the fluid, the filter, and a clean pan and magnet.

I know that changing the fluid wont save a aging or dying tranny but i would like to think from one day to the next the fluid would atleast keep it cooler? Any thoughts greatly appreciatted. Dont have 4K for a BTS right now.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:46 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
just a shot, but take a hose to your radiator, flush that out for a little bit..

Old 09-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Benny2002
Posting Guru
Did coolant flush a couple months ago, and i think an 02 like mine the atf doesnt go through the radiator. Are you talking about the surface of the radiator?

Old 09-14-2008, 03:57 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
Yes, sorry, should have been more clear. Not sure it will do anything, but it stands to reason, it would help more then hurt. And I am thinking by nailing the surface of the radiator, you will be cleaning the trans cooler as well.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Benny2002
Posting Guru
cant hit the radiator from the front, tru cool trans cooler, then ac condensor coil, then stock trans cooler, then intercooler before the radiator. Could hit it from the back side but i dont think it would help, its not really that dirty havent been muddin in a long time. thx for the suggestion though.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:41 PM
John311t
Postmaster
02 should have the water to oil trans cooler(radiator trans cooling).

Did the napa filter have a shorter pickup where it goes down into the pan?

If you have ever taken that truck muddin, you might want to PULL the radiator out to ensure its clean. Mine was taken muddin once, and I cleaned everything from the front and from the back the best I could. When I was doing a coolant flush, my water pump decided to be a ******* and let the bolts break inside the thermo housing. So off the water pump came, after I got the fan shroud off, and the fan, I saw a horrific site 3/4 of the radiator was blocked. I thought I had mine clean also, but its hard to clean on the truck.