Transmission Fluid as fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Black Cowboy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Fluid as fuel?

One of the other technicians at my shop was talking to a Ford technician last week and he said that he's (Ford Technician) been using old tranny fluid instead of diesel fuel. Has anyone else ever heard of this or even tried it? I'm curious to know some results. Thanks

Old 09-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Wieckster
Senior User
I dont think I would put it in my truck That motor is pretty expensive to replace if it doesnt work

Old 09-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Black Cowboy
Senior User
lol, believe me I know. I'm currently putting a new motor in my F350

Old 09-13-2008, 10:17 AM
royzell
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've done it, in my IDI as well as several MB's. My MB mechanic recommended it as a way to clean the engine. On this forum, we always talk about using ATF to fill the fuel filter when changing. I've never run it straight, it was always mixed with diesel.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Black Cowboy
Senior User
Originally Posted by royzell
I've done it, in my IDI as well as several MB's. My MB mechanic recommended it as a way to clean the engine. On this forum, we always talk about using ATF to fill the fuel filter when changing. I've never run it straight, it was always mixed with diesel.
Cool, thanks for the info. does it make the truck run any better when mixed with diesel? Just curious that's all.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:46 PM
royzell
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't tell any difference.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:11 PM
magneto259
Senior User
I just read about a guy using atf in his 03 excursion and hes put over 10k on it and said it runs fine. He mixes it 90% atf and 10% diesel. I heard that newer atf has friction modifiers in it and will damage the injectors. Is this true? Or does the used atf lose its friction modifying properties when it's used? I've thought about running it but I don't want to ruin my truck. There was a article in diesel powermag this month on it.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Any used ATF contains submicrom metallic particles that will eventually destroy cylinder walls, rings, injectors, fuel pumps, pressure regulators, etc.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old 12-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Black Cowboy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Phydeaux88
Any used ATF contains submicrom metallic particles that will eventually destroy cylinder walls, rings, injectors, fuel pumps, pressure regulators, etc.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Thanks for posting this lil' tidbit of info because I was curious if the little metal shavings would cause any problems. I think I'm just gonna play it safe and continue running just regular diesel fuel. I just recently put a new motor in my truck and definitely don't want to do it again.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:32 PM
TxFordGuy
Senior User
I understand about the metal particles, but if you were to filter used oil down to 5 micron or less. why would it hurt the engine when the stock filter is only 7 -10 micron. anything 5 micron particle in regular diesel fuel is getting past the stock filter

Old 01-08-2009, 11:57 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by TxFordGuy
I understand about the metal particles, but if you were to filter used oil down to 5 micron or less. why would it hurt the engine when the stock filter is only 7 -10 micron. anything 5 micron particle in regular diesel fuel is getting past the stock filter
I was thinking about the same thing, only I would filter it down to 1 micron absolute. McMaster Carr sells a 1 micron absolute sock filter pretty cheaply. Pump it through that then mix with diesel.

I have a hard time seeing how anything smaller than 1 micron - even metal particles - could do much if any harm. I mean 1 micron is 1/1,000,000th of a meter, right? Thats like .00039" - less than 0.4 thousandths (4 TEN thousandths) of an inch. There aren't any tolerances anywhere in the engine - or the fuel system - that are anywhwere near that tight.

One other point that people seem to ignore is that the fuel you buy has got to have metal particles in it too. All the pumps, tanks, piping, valves, nozzles, etc. that the fuel passes through between the refinery and your tank it has to pick up some metal shavings and dirt. That's why the fuel system has filters to start with, right?

Of course a magnet to catch even sub-micron sized particles of iron-based metals couldn't hurt. If anything would do any harm it would be the steel and iron particles. Just because they are so much harder than the brass and aluminum particles.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by CheaperJeeper
I have a hard time seeing how anything smaller than 1 micron - even metal particles - could do much if any harm.
They act as an abrasive and gradually wear thing like injectors and fuel system components. A magnet will not work because the clutches in the transmission, which wear during use, have non metallic and/or noe magnetic components.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Knotwild
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would never use it personally, but I did see an article on ATF as fuel in Diesel Power magazine (I think it was DP, but it might have been another diesel magazine).

Old 01-15-2009, 10:42 PM
j250hd
Senior User
I have a 95 stroker and my cousin has a 97 stroker. We have run thousands of gallons of used tranny fluid through our trucks. No problems to speak of did the math on fuel bills for last year and combined we saved 9,682 dollars on fuel! That pays for two motors and a couple grand left over if we did have to replace it. It was nice to keep that money in our pockets though!

Old 01-16-2009, 12:21 AM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I too have burned around 3000 gallons in my '02 F350 Power Stroke with no problems. I have on my odometer 240,000 miles. I do not burn used tranny fluid but I do burn used hydraulic oil and ATF drained from air compressors. I have even burned synthetic compressor oil. I never calculated how much money I have saved but I am sure it mounts up fast.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid as fuel?