Sponsored by: DP Tuner

turbo wheel??

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 09:31 PM
kent's f-350
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo wheel??

hi i was wanting to know if the fan wheel in side the turbo can be changed or do you have to buy a new turbo?? and if it is changeable is it hard?? it looks like some of the blades have been hit by something, so i wanted change it if i could. and no their not broken just got a few chips in them.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:45 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Yep, the compressor wheel is replaceable. A stock wheel for a late 99-03 is about 125-150 new, a used (but in good shape) one can be found at Rons turbo service (ebay vendor) for about $15-30. A wicked wheel (which is the same wheel that came in the early 99 turbo) can be had for about $60-90 new. the Wicked wheel is called alot of different names, but dont be fooled, they are all the same. The WW will help to reduce surge, and will have a much more pronounced whine to it while running.

Here is a write up that I did, on completley rebuilding your turbo. you can change the compressor wheel while the turbo is still mounted on the truck, but be warned that there is not much manuvering room.
Welcome to BDrummonds Van Turbo Rebuild Web Page

Old 09-09-2008, 10:41 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looking at your avatar and signature block, a WW would be a good choice for your setup. Especially if you have encountered turbo surge pulling that trailer.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:22 PM
kent's f-350
Senior User
turbo surge pulling that trailer
what's turbo surge??

Old 09-12-2008, 10:22 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by kent's f-350
turbo surge pulling that trailer
what's turbo surge??
Its when your cooking along pretty good, and you come to a slight incline mash the go pedal a little harder, and you hear the turbo making a pressure cooker sound, tst,tst,tst. NOT GOOD. the technical of it is when the turbo has reached the upper end of its efficiency and is struggling to take in air. It is easily fixed with either the WW or an ATS housing.