1974 Ford Cummins Crew cab

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 11:06 PM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
There was a factory hole in the frame and he wasn't sure what to do with it. It was suggested that when he boxed the frame to not only put a hole in the box to match but to put the tube in to make it clean looking, strength was a bonus. Chase was afraid closing the hole, to delete it, would be a headache trying to make it dissapear to make it look factory.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:49 AM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i see three pictures the one that didnt show up is before your typeing...

Old 09-15-2009, 01:54 AM
brownfoot
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
he likes to weld and is just showing-off

Old 09-15-2009, 10:30 AM
scottfreeman
Elder User
Talking ya

Originally Posted by brownfoot
I think he is just practicing, he seems like the kind of guy that perfect is not good enough and always wants to be better.
He makes me wish I had a tig, that is for sure.....

Old 09-15-2009, 12:29 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BradyCouchman
i see three pictures the one that didnt show up is before your typeing...
Not sure Brady. I didn't notice that the other day. Not even sure how it got there - but due to FTE's lame time limit for editing posts I can't take it out...

Originally Posted by brownfoot
Yup and yup. Not sure why but I really enjoy welding. It's kind of like surfing for me - just mellows me out and relaxes me a bit.

Originally Posted by scottfreeman
I think he is just practicing, he seems like the kind of guy that perfect is not good enough and always wants to be better.
He makes me wish I had a tig, that is for sure.....
Thanks!

And on that note - here's more "showing off"... I got a bit more done last night!!!!

1st - I missed a corner when doing the cad drawing for the frame boxing plate. I took the driver side one and cut off the end in cad. I didn't look close enough when doing it and this corner was left off.
Oh well - a little time with the port-a-band and grinder and this little patch plate fit perfectly.

Next I welded the plate on top to close off that box section

Then I added a little "beef" to the front spring hanger/hitch attachment.
All welded up - now I just gotta drill the holes and paint tonight!

I also wrapped up my new welding table - but that's not interesting enough to others so no pics. It does make me happy to have a big table again!!!!

Old 09-15-2009, 01:06 PM
scottfreeman
Elder User
yup, better keep practicing...........

Looks awesome, wish I had the time and talent to fab like that. That is going to be the ultimate "Man-truck" when you are done with it. It will make an awesome sled hauler.....

I do have a question though. Don't take it wrong, I like you guys and enjoy talking fab and "engineering" with those that get to do it more than me.
The last plating you added to reinforce the lower portion of the frame rails, couldn't that possibly weaken the area around that attachment point? Not that it did, but what I am thinking (I should stop thinking, just gets me in trouble) is that doesn't welding actually make steel brittle at the weld to a certain extent? (humor my thought for a second). Couldn't that plate in the plane that it is in have a tendency to tear at the welds because of the direction of the loads placed on it?Don't get me wrong, I like the way it looks and the idea behind it. I just wonder if in that particular situation a guy might have been better off using that plate as a load spreading "washer"?I don't know as much about fab as you do, I just had a thought and was wondering what your thoughts were on it.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:08 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
I get that you are saying and yes cracks/breaks usually do start at welds. I am no engineer, but I do understand the ideas concepts for the most part. I also enjoy talknig about this type of stuff. 2 of my 3 brothers are engineers, as is my buddy who I turn to on advice for this stuff. He is actually the one that suggested I add these plates.

Based on how the plates sit in relation to the load they will see (actually loads in a few different angles) they should be fine. Most of the loads are compression loads pushing up against the bottom of the frame - where the leafs mount. This should not be a problem.
It will then see a shear load when I go to use the hitch or recovery points. The bolts see the majority of these loads and again I don't see much of an issue.

Will these plates "weaken" the frame there - no way.
Are the weld areas more brittle than just the frame as it sat before I added the plate - yes. Again I am not worried about it.

In order to really cause a problem I think these plate would have to see a lot of torsional loading - which based on the design of this overall "structure" (the frame, boxing material, and hitch mount) I really don't see much of that happening.

As for the "weld washers" you suggest - yes, they might have been a good idea. They are round and therefore good as cracks in welds start at the corners. Round, continuous welds make it harder for these to start. BUT with the weld washers they are just welded to the face (top in this instance) of the frame and do nothing to tie the entire "structure" together.

Is that enough for ya? Haha

Old 09-15-2009, 02:21 PM
scottfreeman
Elder User
Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754
Is that enough for ya? Haha
Thank you for entertaining my thoughts. I did not think it would be an issue either. I was just thinking more generally, besides I figured with your "baja" desires that it could see pretty big torsional loads if you jump it. I hope I was not offensive.

Your truck is becoming more and more awesome, your skills are mad, and I have to admit, I am jealous.......

Hey, keep practicing.....

Old 09-15-2009, 06:00 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Not offensive at all. I wasn't trying to be a smart **** with the blah, blah, blah guy. I was more meaning I ramble on about things like this.

As for the "baja guy" thing - this truck will not get jumped. At least not intentionally. It is mainly a tow rig that will serve camping duties as well as possibly chasing a race or 2 if needed.

The supercab will be built next and that one is the one that will get the **** beat out of it

Old 09-15-2009, 11:12 PM
1973F250CREW
Junior User
I have been following your work for a while now. Very impressive. I too am doing the cummins conversion in my 73 crew. Just getting started. I have the donor truck and I am pulling my 460 out now. Never was happy with it and the EFI setup. I'm keeping the ZF-5 speed though. When do you plan to drive yours?

Old 09-15-2009, 11:24 PM
bendog
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are a welding animal! Coming along nicely.
Sounds like we've both had some crazy weeks lately! I hate it when freinds ask if anything's done and I point to the same one or two lousy parts, two weeks in a row.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:28 AM
fordtrucknut
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You make me sick!!! You are a WELDING MACHINE!!! and they look sooooo pretty!!! You are half the reason I am all excited about finding a Cummins for my crew now!!! Now that I have my Axle!!!

Old 09-16-2009, 12:17 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Thanks guys!

I hate not making progress. Especially right now because I REALLY need to get this thing driving so I can start on the supercab - hahaha

The plan is to hopefully have it running by the end of October. I am VERY bad with making my goals on having this thing running though - so I'm not counting on it. I will just be pleasantly surprised if I pull it off...

I didn't get much done last night... On the crew that is. I spent much of the night working on the supercab getting it cleaned up and the fenders off it. I need to get it ready to head out to vegas next week so I can get the custom front fender molds going.
Since that ate up much of my night all I got done on the crew was drilling the holes in the newly added 1/4" plates. It took way too long. Partially because I was lying on my back on the floor and drilling upwards. And partially because it was late (about midnight) and I was over tired and not thinking.

In fact I was "not thinking" so much I did this

Kind of a bummer as it was my favorite/most used of the step drill bits...
It stopped me part way through the 1st side

I switched bits and got it finished up. I forgot to take pics though - so more tonight...

Old 09-16-2009, 07:31 PM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ahhhhhh glad to see you added a plate to the frame horns where the spring mounts/reciever bolts up.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:58 AM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
that looks like a harbor freight bit? if it is atlest it is cheep $ wise and i guess quality too...

Quick Reply: 1974 Ford Cummins Crew cab