General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Microsoft, oh Microsoft

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 11:53 PM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
Microsoft, oh Microsoft

I just read that folks who download IE 8 (Beta) and XP Service Pack 3 may not be able to ununstall one or both. Guess that I won't be trying any MS Betas any time soon.

I also read an even scarier scenario. I have a book describing VB express 2008 that comes with a CD. The book ( puiblished by Microsoft) goes on to say that the CD has a Beta version of VB 08. It also says that there's a chance that, if you install it, it will basically wreck your computer, and you will have to reformat your hard drive and reinstall everything! They don't think that it's likely -- but it could happen

my my my

Old 09-03-2008, 12:19 AM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ford2go
I just read that folks who download IE 8 (Beta) and XP Service Pack 3 may not be able to ununstall one or both. Guess that I won't be trying any MS Betas any time soon.

I also read an even scarier scenario. I have a book describing VB express 2008 that comes with a CD. The book ( puiblished by Microsoft) goes on to say that the CD has a Beta version of VB 08. It also says that there's a chance that, if you install it, it will basically wreck your computer, and you will have to reformat your hard drive and reinstall everything! They don't think that it's likely -- but it could happen

my my my
In my opinion Microshaft is really dropping the ball here..

First came IE7 then the Vista crap.. They are obviously trying to push people away.. How many times has an update or so called improvement actually caused problems? To many times and the list is growing larger every day.

If Apple ever prices their computers as low as the current IBM compatible systems, people will jump ship faster than the rats of the Titanic..

Old 09-03-2008, 01:39 AM
CheapRanger
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't run MS at home, only Linux. I was at my parents today, and a storm hit (we knew it was coming), well power goes out and all the battery backups start beeping (if you knew how paranoid my father is ). I go to shutdown mom's XP computer, and WHAT does it say it STARTS doing? "Do not shutdown this computer, or pull the plug, downloading updates. This computer will shutdown when done." WTH? There is a REASON I was shutting it down (lack of electricity for any length of time).

DUMB DUMB DUMB.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:22 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I think you can force quit the background update process, but I'm not sure. It's still pretty dumb, I agree with you.

Folks, beta software is just that - BETA! If you don't know what it means, then don't use it. If you download a beta application and it causes problems on your computer you have absolutely NO ONE to blame but yourself. It is not Microsoft's fault.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:39 AM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Bite the bullet and get a mac. This iMac of mine is the sweetest computer I have ever had. Runs flawlessly, doesn't need constant service pack upgrades, it is fast and the display is beautiful. And now, with the capability to run windows, if I were desperate enough to need it, I can have it all.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:53 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ford2go

my my my

I had downloaded IE-7 when it was released. What a POS. I uninstalled it 15 minutes later. I will stay with IE-6 or go to Firefox.

SP3. . . . I've read where some folks are having problems with it.
Well. . . I have 'automatic downloads' set to download, but, I install when I see fit.
I 'canceled' the install several times on my desktop, then decided to let it fly.
I am having no problems or issues, sofar. Keyword. . . sofar.

One of the guys at work is trying to get me to go to Linux. (I dunno. Not yet. Too many PCs around my house to start that ball rolling.)

Old 09-03-2008, 10:26 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
> There is a REASON I was shutting it down (lack of electricity for any length of time).

I have not bothered with Vista, but, it use to be when the UPS kicked on, it would automatically notify the OS and it would began shutting down everything automatically and prompt you on items that were still being processed.

You mean it no longer allows totally automated shutdowns?

Old 09-03-2008, 10:41 AM
freirefishing
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive never had an issue with windows,or norton.......................but ive read a ton of things on here with people experiencing problems with both....so i have no idea. norton and microsoft over 10 years and 4 desktop pc's, 7 toshiba lap tops ( dont ask just had a very good friend who could get a $1200 toshiba new in a box to me for $200,needless to say i made some money).............never had any issues with any ms operating system or any norton products.

also that warning sign not to shut down windows because of an install......what do you expect, its installing something. the pc doesnt know that a storm is coming and its not going to install it any faster,so pull the plug next time.....and your pc will download it at another time.

a mac would do the same thing

my buddies mac is cool, i like it.........but not going to steer away from microsoft

Old 09-03-2008, 10:43 AM
donjamer
Originally Posted by rebocardo
> There is a REASON I was shutting it down (lack of electricity for any length of time).

I have not bothered with Vista, but, it use to be when the UPS kicked on, it would automatically notify the OS and it would began shutting down everything automatically and prompt you on items that were still being processed.

You mean it no longer allows totally automated shutdowns?
That only does if you install the power monitroring software and have the UPS connected to the USB or Serial port.. Most people just plug it in then they have to manually shut it down..

Old 09-03-2008, 09:28 PM
free000fly
Junior User
I still run xp at my laptop..

Old 09-03-2008, 10:51 PM
Surge08
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't use beta's, I wait till most bugs are worked out

Old 09-03-2008, 11:21 PM
donjamer
Did anyone check out the new Microshaft commercial??

They are going undercover to see what people think of Vista without telling them it's Vista..

They are disguising it as the New operating system called Mojave..

Here is a link..

The Mojave Experiment

Be aware the site wants you to install siverlight and I had problems viewing.

Zone Alarm kept popping up alerts and it crashed Internet explorer eftert denying access..

Old 09-04-2008, 01:27 AM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
Yes, these are Betas, but they should be better behaved then that. Betas should be preceded by alpha tests, which are done by a small group of brave folks ( who usually can rebuild their computers with no trouble).

Betas are primarily to find customer acceptance and some bugs that slipped through. In both of these cases, MS knows that these fairly severe issues exist in the Beta release.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:58 AM
rangersvt04
Posting Guru
i just (like 5 min ago) downloaded and installed sp3..... no problems yet. but i do not like the new IE8 useless copy of firefox. and vista, yea it can do a lot but try running it on a
single processor board! molasses runs up hill faster on a winter day!

Old 09-04-2008, 08:42 AM
CheapRanger
Elder User
Originally Posted by BroncoChris88
I don't use beta's, I wait till most bugs are worked out

So no Microsoft then huh?

As to the download, it should ASK if you want to download updates before shutting down. It shouldn't ignore your shutdown ORDER and start.

Quick Reply: Microsoft, oh Microsoft