Filling up fuel on F250 5.4L (gas) - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Filling up fuel on F250 5.4L (gas)

Old 02-09-2017, 12:22 PM
DaveG53
New User
DaveG53 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2010 F250 S.D. gas 5.4 plain jane XL,purchased 2014 Sept. 80,000 Km. (49,700 miles).

What a disappointing response from the selling Ford dealership! Fuel tank not part of the drivetrain :-(

I suppose Ford sees the irony; most are purchased as WORK trucks, not Highway Toys.
Just the usual 'buyer beware'.

Thanks to all for passing on your experiences, and inexpensive solutions!
I too had a WTF moment when I spent 25 minutes trying to fill the tank the first time.

I like the rest of the mechanics, but this doesn't build 'brand loyalty'.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:05 PM
MaineHomesteader
Junior User
MaineHomesteader is starting off with a positive reputation.
solution to the problem

Originally Posted by DaveG53 View Post
2010 F250 S.D. gas 5.4 plain jane XL,purchased 2014 Sept. 80,000 Km. (49,700 miles).

What a disappointing response from the selling Ford dealership! Fuel tank not part of the drivetrain :-(

I suppose Ford sees the irony; most are purchased as WORK trucks, not Highway Toys.
Just the usual 'buyer beware'.

Thanks to all for passing on your experiences, and inexpensive solutions!
I too had a WTF moment when I spent 25 minutes trying to fill the tank the first time.

I like the rest of the mechanics, but this doesn't build 'brand loyalty'.
I discovered that if I insert the fuel nozzle into my tank inlet and then rotate the handle of the fuel nozzle counter clockwise until it is at what seems to be the 3:15 position, I can fill the tank without interruption. I hold it snug against the truck at that position and don't let it move at all. I discovered this by starting to rotate the handle a little bit every time the fuel flow got tripped off. When I got to 3:15, it stopped getting tripped. I have no idea if other positions will allow gas to go in the tank without interruption or not.

If it works for me, I bet it will work for others. Maybe the position will vary from truck to truck.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:38 PM
300sflyer
Senior User
300sflyer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by MaineHomesteader View Post
I discovered that if I insert the fuel nozzle into my tank inlet and then rotate the handle of the fuel nozzle counter clockwise until it is at what seems to be the 3:15 position, I can fill the tank without interruption. I hold it snug against the truck at that position and don't let it move at all. I discovered this by starting to rotate the handle a little bit every time the fuel flow got tripped off. When I got to 3:15, it stopped getting tripped. I have no idea if other positions will allow gas to go in the tank without interruption or not.

If it works for me, I bet it will work for others. Maybe the position will vary from truck to truck.
Mine was that way too for a while. Then it didn't matter what position the handle was in when filling it up. Cleaning out the canister and filter fixed it!

Old 10-20-2017, 02:16 PM
Lance990
Senior User
Lance990 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just solved this problem on my '07 F350 V10. Some of the earlier posts mentioned blowing out the lines, so that is what I did.

Steps:

1. Dropped the spare to gain access to charcoal canister.
2. Removed hose that connects the canister to the purge vent solenoid
3. Blew compressed air into the canister several times at about 40 PSI
4. Blew compressed air into purge vent solenoid
5. Removed hose connecting the purge vent solenoid to the dust separator (filter)
6. Blew air into the dust filter for several minutes.
7. Reconnected all hoses

Unfortunately, the PO on my truck must have thought that the filler neck was bad an replaced it with one that looks nothing like the OEM in that it has an extra hole and tube at the top of the filler neck. He apparently cut the vent line and used a piece of rubber hose to connect the vent line from the filler neck to the vent line that goes to the vent system. I'm sure he did this so he wouldn't have to lower the fuel tank to replace the filler neck. I doubt anything was wrong with the original fuel neck except that he probably thought "gas won't go in, fuel neck must be problem".

Since I had access to the vent lines on the opposite end, I removed his rubber hose and blew compressed air into the lines near the filler neck, too. I then took it to the gas station and put 11 gallons in it and the pump never shut off until the tank was full. Problem solved!

You can't see the rubber hose on the vent tube in this photo but you can see the extra tubing at the top of the filler neck with a screw in it and a clamp around it. I think this might be for a diesel or something. Not sure.

Last edited by Lance990; 10-20-2017 at 02:18 PM. Reason: add image
Old 10-22-2017, 06:47 AM
Paul_inCT
Junior User
Paul_inCT is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have this same problem on my 07 V10. I tried blowing out a couple of the lines still didn't work right. So for now I pull the hose of the evap valve under the hood during fill up. Hopefully soon I will be taking my bed off to repaint the frame. I plan on replacing the canister with the Dorman equivalent.
Amazon Amazon
Then maybe relocating the air intake and putting something like a breather filter/ air line filter on it.
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon
Not sure if anyone has tried putting a filter vent line. Many of us use our trucks on work sites and I would rather replace a filter (that I hopefully can relocate to convenient spot)

The Ford parts to solve this problem seem ridiculous. $100+ for vent relocation kit, $200-300 for the canister

Old 10-29-2017, 05:19 PM
Roland N. Tumblen
New User
Roland N. Tumblen is starting off with a positive reputation.
Newbie here, my first post … please be gentle…

I’m trying to get my new to me 2006 F250 Super duty 5.4L to take fuel like it’s supposed to. I’ve read this thread and many others, however, I think this truck has been … “modified”. I don’t have a “vent tube” exiting the box collector and I don’t see one that has been disconnected. From what I understand there should be a tube running out the exit side of the box, and on my vehicle there’s nothing …

I have two questions: Question 1) I watched this video (
) describing a routing of a vent tube all the way to the air box under the hood. Anybody else done that? How’s that working for you?

Question 2) I’d like to be able to disconnect the entire evaporator assembly. How does the vent tube that runs to the rear and hooks up to the driver’s side of the evaporator disconnect? It appears that there is a clip type connector running to the left side of the evap canister. I don’t want to damage that connection but I would really like to be able to get that entire unit off of the vehicle. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!