Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Fuel filter indicator light

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 02:51 PM
southpaw
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel filter indicator light

Just finished a one month fishing trip through Montana and the Dakotas and then back to Washington hauling 2 tons of camper and towing 3000 lbs of boat with my '02 dually.
I've done this before where the only mods I'd done were straight piping the stock exhaust, aftermarket intake, rerouting the crankcase vent from the intake - nothing too exciting. I also run fuel additives generally the Walmart brand.
This trip I tried a BD downloader with three levels - tow/economy, performance, and extreme.
When the truck was working the fuel filter light would come on. This was in extreme mode or performance mode. I'd never seen that indicator before so it got my attention. Before I took off I'd replaced the filter - NAPA - the new kind with the screw on top attached.
In Montana I stopped at a Napa and got a replacement and the indicator still lights up. I drove it for the next three weeks with the light turning on occasionally but the truck was driving well - more power and better fuel economy than without the downloader.
Haven't talked to Ford about it - Napa guys said they hadn't heard anyone else having a problem.
Should I be concerned? Is there a such a thing as a hi flow filter?
Thanks
Mike

Old 08-30-2008, 03:11 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
The light usually indicates water in the fuel bowl. Have you drained the bowl into a clear jar to look for any signs of water? The only other time I've seen this flash was from a chaffed wire over the drivers side valve cover, but that was associated with a truck that would stutter or stall.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:40 AM
southpaw
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Initially thought it might be water or a tank of bad fuel so I drained the fuel filter bowl and it looked good. That was at about 800 or so miles into the trip. 3500 miles later it was still doing the same thing. I put a lot of different brands of diesel through it incuding trying some #1 - didn't seem to have an effect one way or the other.
Pretty much anytime I made the truck work hard enough to blow some smoke I could count on the light coming on.
Like I said I've never seen that light come on and I've been driving Ford diesels since the early 90's. But then I've never chipped or used a downloader on any of those trucks before now.