1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Engine Bay Colors

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 03:39 PM
bczee
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine Bay Colors

I am trying to find some information on paint for the engine bay for my 1948 F-1. I know the engine is Ford Red, but I am looking for information and pictures to correctly restore the engine bay.

I know most of the item are black, but are they flat, semi-Gloss, Gloss, etc..

Fan
Fan/Water Pump Pulley
Balancer
Frame
Alternator Bracket
Radiator tank and core
Fan shroud
Valance panel (air Deflector?) around the front hood latch
Any other bracket or support/mounts.

I did do some searchig..but didn't find my answers...

Also, anyone have any pictures of there finished or restore engine bays ?

thanks..

Old 08-27-2008, 06:29 PM
dmptrkr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The red engine color used back in 48 was a very dark red. The Ford red paint found in rattle cans at the chain parts stores is not correct, much too orange. The engine color was used for the block, intake manifold, heads, timing gear cover, oil pan, water pumps and pulleys, bell and tranny. Basically they put the engine together as minimally as necessary to seal it up and painted it. Black was used for all the brackets and accessories: starter, generator, oil fill tube, water outlets, crankcase vent, fan, distributor, oil filter, air cleaner. Fuel pump and stand and carburetor were unpainted. The carburetor was gold plated (cadmium I think). Not easily reproduced but usually made to look correct with thin paint by those who are concerned with such detail. Hood latch plates I think were body color although the latch parts were zinc plated, at least on top, not sure about the spring and pin on the bottom. Inner fenders, radiator shroud, radiator bracket and the air dams were black. I would go with semigloss black.

Here's a picture I took at a show (not my truck) that I think is fairly correct:

Old 08-27-2008, 06:49 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
The look you want for the inner fenders and shroud, etc., is perfectly matched in Eastwood's Chassis Black. It sprays simply wonderfully, and is neither semi-glass nor matte, just right!

Old 08-27-2008, 11:14 PM
bczee
Cross-Country
Thanks guys.. any more pictures. I have a flat 6.. if that makes any difference from a V8...

I have not cleaned the Bell housing and Trans.. are they also painted Ford Red, As well as the Fan pulley ?

This will never be a perfectly correct Truck, but I want to make as much as possible correct, as long as I am taking parts off, replacing, cleaning and painting them, I may as well.. it is only paint.

thanks again guys.. any more pictures ???

Old 08-29-2008, 09:05 AM
bczee
Cross-Country
Anyone else go any pictures of correct paint ?

Old 08-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Have a look as there maybe engine pictures in the FTE Gallery: Ford Truck Enthusiasts Galleries

Old 09-04-2008, 01:05 AM
bczee
Cross-Country
thanks for the suggestion Fomoko1.. but I am not finding much of stock / OEM engine bays.. mostly modify.

I'll keep looking..

Thanks