2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P-0401 Error Code

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 08:42 AM
signtist00
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P-0401 Error Code

What do I need to replace when a P-0401 error code appears?

Old 08-25-2008, 08:47 AM
Capbyrd
Senior User
P0401 OBD-II Trouble Code

Technical Description

Insufficient EGR Flow

What does that mean?

EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation. It is part of the vehicle emmissions system, and is used to reduce combustion temperature and pressure to control Oxides of Nitrogen. There are generally three parts to the EGR system: the EGR valve, an actuator solenoid, and a differential pressure sensor EGR (DPFE). These things work together to deliver the correct amount of recirculation based on engine temperature, load, etc. The P0401 code means that OBD detected an insufficient amount of EGR.

Symptoms

You may notice drivability problems such as pinging (a.k.a. pre-ignition knock) when the engine is under load or the vehicle is at higher speeds. There may also be other symptoms.

Causes

A code P0401 most likely means one or more of the following has happened:

The DPFE (differential pressure feedback EGR) sensor is faulty and needs to be replaced
There is a blockage in the EGR (tube), most likely carbon buildup
The EGR valve is faulty
The EGR valve may not be opening due to a lack of vaccuum
Possible Solutions

In fixing this code, it is quite common for people to just replace the EGR valve only to have the OBD code return. The EGR valve is not always the culprit.

Use a vacuum pump and pull the EGR valve open while monitoring engine RPM's & DPFE voltage. There should be a noticable difference in RPM's with the EGR open
Clean out the EGR valve and/or tubing to remove deposits
Check the voltage at the DPFE, compare to specified values (refer to a repair manual for your specific model)
Replace the DPFE sensor (with a good quality / OEM one)
Replace the EGR valve

Old 08-25-2008, 09:05 AM
jr105
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Capbyrd's response covers the troubleshooting for this code real well. The only comment I have is that when I was checking the EGR in my wifes car I was able to open and close the EGR with a bulb syringe stuck in the end of the vacuum hose to the EGR rather than using a vacuum pump, which some people don't have. Just compress the syringe and stick it in the hose and release it. You should hear the engine RPMs change.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:15 AM
signtist00
New User
Thanks for the direction!