1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

351w & volare frontend

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 05:42 PM
DDMAG52
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
351w & volare frontend

O.K. I bought a 53 that a guy started building about 25 years ago. It is in pretty good condtion and stop working on it about 25 years ago and has been in a barn ever since. no engine trans and mostly a part. Anyway it has a volare front suspension never had an engine or trans since the front was in stalled like I said 25 or so years ago it has some motor mounts welded in (homemade) not bought but they look good and sturdy. I asked the guy I got it from what the mounts were for and he said he wasnt sure he has gotten pretty old and it was a long time ago. He said he was thinking maybe they were for a 351w but he wasnt sure. Here is the ? the mount on the passanger side is about 35"to the front of the mount and 38 1/2" to the back of the mount from the front of the frame the driver side 41" front 45" back also from the front of the frame. The back of the driver side mount is behind the steering box and the front of the mount is about in the middle of the steering box. I have no experence with ford motors does any of them have any offset of mounts like that or does anyone have any idea what the maybe for. I no pictures are the best but I dont have one yet but I will get one.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:08 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 733 Likes on 262 Posts
DD

it's almost impossible with the dimensions you gave to say... it all depends on the builder and where he was trying to put the engine in respect to radiator/firewall...

if you say the drivers engine mount is 'behind' the steering box I'm confused...between the s.box and the firewall ??? that don't sound right

look at this thread....

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...lare-clip.html

the last two pics of the frame in red primer are of my truck before I axed the volare for the MII. These mounts were for a 460 with a 2" offset to the right to clear the steering box.... you can maybe use the pics for reference to the control arm mounts and such and get an idea if you'rs is close... a SBF is smaller and narrower than a BBF so there will be a difference...but it might help...

pictures when you can get them will sure help...

later

john

Old 08-21-2008, 08:00 PM
DDMAG52
New User
Yea it doesnt make since to me either. The mounts were put on after the front was put on maybe he put the one on the back (between box & firewall) in the wrong place maybe needs to be put in front I dont no. I am going to get a 351w soon and I'll just have to see whats up with them.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:10 PM
DDMAG52
New User
O.K. looking at the last primer pic on the thread you posted it looks like the rear leg looks to be about where the front leg would be on mine. I bet here should have welded the one that is in the back on mine on the front. He probably just put it in the wrong place. The passanger side ( second from last pic)looks like it it is in about the same place as mine.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:22 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 733 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by DDMAG52
O.K. looking at the last primer pic on the thread you posted it looks like the rear leg looks to be about where the front leg would be on mine. I bet here should have welded the one that is in the back on mine on the front. He probably just put it in the wrong place. The passanger side ( second from last pic)looks like it it is in about the same place as mine.
you're confusing me now with front and rear ???

you said..."the rear leg looks to be about where the front leg would be on mine. are you saying that the rear edge of the my mount is where the rear edge is on yours ???

don't make sense... there is maybe 1 to 1.5 " difference in the BBF and SBF in length and my BB was within 1/2" of the firewall... I don't think you could get any v-8 in there if the engine mount is behind the steering box...

boy, wish we had those pictures ...

look at the pic with my mounts showing ,,, you can see that the leading edge of both motor mounts is very close to the front edge of the control arm mounts on the volare clip... I'd think if you were more than an inch or so behind that you're going to have some interference problems...... maybe someone with a volare still installed will be by and can take some measurements for us

j

Old 08-22-2008, 06:36 AM
fergusonicford
Senior User
How about simply find an engine / tranny combination that you want and if the motor mounts align good....if not; cut them off and make new ones. Pay attention to position as the exhaust on Driver's side likes to interfere w/ Steering box.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:11 PM
DDMAG52
New User
The front of my mount is where the rear of your mount is or the one that is in the pic (primed frame) The mount on the passager side is about where the other primed pic mount is. I am just going to get the engine I want and see if it works if it doesnt I'll just cut them off like fergusonicford sugjested.