Need Help with Harley Electrical Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 08:25 PM
5.0 Heaven
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help with Harley Electrical Question

Hi Everyone - I know this is a non truck question but was hoping someone with more electrical know how could help with this (hope we have some Harley lovers too). Have a 91 Heritage Softail that suddenly showed no lights when ignition **** turned - no starter turn - nothing. Battery is fine, took main pos and neg cables off and cleaned etc. and it came to life. Lasted a day and dead. When you put voltmeter to top right lug on ignition switch it will read battery voltage but when you turn on switch all six lugs read nothing. Bought new ignition switch and it changed nothing. (This is the weird part) The lug will read 13.2 volts - same as battery - with a volt meter, but happened to be touching around with Snap-on 12v test probe and that lug will not light up a test light. So enough voltage getting through for correct reading on a voltmeter but not enough to light a test light. Jumped wire from pos on battery to that lug on switch and everything will work. So I think the wire is bad somewhere in frame but possibly has a strand left so enough to trick me when I checked with meter?? Can not find a wiring diagram anywhere on line but can I just run new wire from the circuit breaker on rear fender to this post? If anyone has diagram listing or knows if running a new wire is OK would love some help. I think because it is the main ignition having a wire go right to it is fine but worried it may have to pass via another component first. I would not think so but hate to do this and find battery is no longer charging or something.
Thanks

Old 07-14-2011, 07:40 AM
5.0 Heaven
Junior User
Need Electrical Help - Please

Looked at wires as much as possible and I think putting a new wire from the 40A main breaker on rear fender to the key lug would work because key should always have straight power to it at all times anyway. I know I should try to find why and where the old wire failed but you would need to strip half of the bike down to trace it. Still really confused about how terminal reads battery voltage with a meter but can not light a test light up. Please - if anyone knows Harley wire diagram and can send me a copy or thinks this straight wire I am thinking of doing is going to be an issue I would appreciate the help. I do not want to strip this all down. I have had 38 major back, hip, & foot surgeries (and need another) so doing a quick one wire fix is about all I can take for now but do not want to cause issue with charge system or anything else. The wire may be doing it's job all up the line and if I leave it in place and just run the second "new" line everything may be OK. It is possible this old line has just failed in the 8 inches or so it takes to go from key **** to plug bundle under tanks. May just be connection at the plug is fault. Just not sure. Any Harley guys out there??

Old 07-23-2011, 09:33 AM
5.0 Heaven
Junior User
Thanks for the HELP - nice to see so many people willing to jump in.