1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Power Loss - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 07:55 PM
whack&stack
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Loss - Please Help

Hi this is my first time being on this sight and i really need help. I have a '97 F250 7.3 Power Stroke
I was driving down the interstate yesterday and all of the sudden lost power no loud noises I pulled over b/c the truck was running rough alot of vibration. I thought I might have busted a u-joint or the exaust had come lose and was hitting the driveshaft (the engine noise is noticably louder)
I started the truck back up and it starts ROUGH and has a ton of vibration and no get up at all. I limped it to the exit and took it to the dealership and left it there over the weekend. I had purchased fuel about 20 minutes prior to this happening and I checked the fuel filter and it was jet black i have only had the truck a year but i had bought it off a dealer and assumed it had been looked over before putting on the lot i have not put 8k on it yet. I replaced the fuel filter and tried running it thinking that the plugged filter was just starving it of fuel but it made no difference. BTW it also shifts rough now b/c it takes a long time to get the RPM's up. Is this an injector problem.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:38 PM
whack&stack
Elder User
thanks for all the help

Old 08-10-2008, 09:05 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Welcome to FTE. You may want to check down in the 94 - 97 7.3 section where more folks that have your motor hang out. It's located farther down the forum listing, or here's a link 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Since the problem happened so soon after you bought fuel, you can't rule that out. Have you ever changed the fuel filter in the year that you've had it? Did you drain the fuel filter to check for any signs of water in the fuel? (water will settle to the bottom of a container).

If you hadn't mentioned the fuel I would have guessed a loose connector on the UVCH (under valve cover harness) wiring. That will make the truck feel like it's not firing on all cylindders. An injector problem will usually cause some smoke and can sound like a knock. A loose connector will prevent the injectors from firing so those cylinders won't work at all. Did you get a check engine light when this happened?

Be sure to post back with what the dealer tells you, and we'll be able to tell you how hard this would be to fix yourself. Be sure to get a list of any trouble codes and the results of any injector buzz tests or cylinder contribution tests.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:32 PM
whack&stack
Elder User
thanks for your help
no water in the fuel that i could tell the dummy light for water in fuel is not coming on either
no i had not changed the filter in the year that i have owned as it supposedly went through a rigorous set of tests before it was put on the lot i assumed like and idiot that something as simple as the fuel filter would have been
changed
no check engine light and no smoke
the motor sounds like a slight knock when its idling and with the hood up but feels more like a miss when driving
this is my first diesel and this is what scared me about them i know nothing i have always been a gas engine guy i can build one of those from the ground up but pretty stupid on diesels
oh yeah i found the other forum after i had already posted here thought i would wait and see what responses i got thanks for helping

Old 08-11-2008, 06:02 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Those rigorous 32 point inspections could usually be performed by a teenage girl.

Battery not dead. Check. Transmission has fluid. Check. Air in left front tire. Check. Air in right front tire. Check. and so on.

Noises could be an injector issue. You can also re-torque your injector hold down bolts and rocker arm pedestals. That made a big difference on the sound of mine. The super dutys require 20 ft lbs on the rockers and 120 in lbs on the injector hold down bolts. I would imagine it's the same spec on your truck, but you might double check with the others before you try it.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:57 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 300 Likes on 157 Posts
Thread moved to the '97 7.3 forum

WELCOME to FTE!

Old 08-11-2008, 04:29 PM
whack&stack
Elder User
well i had the diagnosis done at the ford dealership today and they found that the idm is bad

the codes were as follows p0475, p1293, p1294, p0344

uvh and injectors are all ok harness from uvh to idm is ok ground is ok only idm needs replaced

does anyone know of a good place to buy an IDM online since even with a discounted price at the dealership its $950?????

thanks again

Old 08-11-2008, 06:39 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
You can check ebay. That always scares me, but I have bought some things there with no issues. I checked the listings for a guy I've dealt with before there and he has a used one listed for $150. I don't know if you'd consider used or not.

Dieselsite has one listed for $621, and we have several sponsors who are Ford dealers that sell at a discounted price. I couldn't fine the IDM on their website, but we'll see if we can get one to give us a link to his pricing.

For your 0475 code you might try cleaning the EBP sensor tube Welcome to guzzle's Exhaust Backpressure Sensor Cleaning Maintenance Web Page

Did the dealer say anything about the 0344 code? A bad CPS could cause many of the same symptoms, but it's only a $20 part. Just make sure you get a Ford brand CPS. There have been several reports of problems with the ones from the auto parts stores.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:44 PM
FTE/PARTS-GUY
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whack&stack
well i had the diagnosis done at the ford dealership today and they found that the idm is bad

the codes were as follows p0475, p1293, p1294, p0344

uvh and injectors are all ok harness from uvh to idm is ok ground is ok only idm needs replaced

does anyone know of a good place to buy an IDM online since even with a discounted price at the dealership its $950?????

thanks again

I HAVE ONE IN STOCK, F7TZ12B599AC

I just answered this same question for another person on another post.

same deal hmmmm?

Ed

Old 08-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
same deal hmmmm?
Yeah ...same deal....

Old 08-11-2008, 07:22 PM
whack&stack
Elder User
i am open to used if its from a reputable source i am also in the post from the fella that has one in stock feel free to email me at joshua_moon50@hotmail.com with more info as i dont know if this site has email in it thanks guys

Old 08-11-2008, 07:23 PM
whack&stack
Elder User
anyone had any luck with this autocomputersupply.com website website they say they have them for $550 with a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty

Old 08-11-2008, 07:27 PM
whack&stack
Elder User
i would be interested in used or the post from the fella that has one stock how do i get more details ? email in this website?

Old 08-11-2008, 07:32 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
$550 for a reman and $683 for a new one from Ford. I don't know who does the reman, or what type of job they do, but I am familiar with the remanned alternators and starters that carry a "lifetime" warranty. They're usually good for about a year before you need another one.

Just something to think about.

Edit: Here's the link I talked about earlier http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m29

Like I said, I've bought a new Ford part from him before, and he was helpful and shipped the item quickly, but I can't vouch for the quality of any used item. He also has a 120 IDM listed if you're interested in that.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:37 PM
whack&stack
Elder User
yeah they reman one from autocomputersupply has a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty and the one from the dealership has 1 year 12k warranty but for peace of mind would really consider the $683 one since this truck has now become my daily driver i am scared of getting the wrong one used is the only thing holding me back on that one is there email in this website

Quick Reply: Power Loss - Please Help