1990 2.9 help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 02:33 AM
ptesmoke
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 2.9 help!

hey everyone, i searched as much as a i could but still think my problem si different form what ive found so here goes.

i have a 1990 ranger 2.9l, truck ran perfect from halifax ns, to cold lake alberta. until recently it stalled when coming to red lights, and a couple times wouldnt even start. turn over no problem but that was it. sometimes it would start up and then sputter and die, then start ight up and be ok. it only seems to really act up after it rains. which led me to suspect the plug wires. i went out and got a new set and upon removing the old ones one wire acually left the metal connecter on the plug, which i thought HEY i found the problem this one was bad. then after getting the new ones on i took her for a spin, seemed to work better.. but no, second time out around the block i noticed almost like a hesitation and misfiring, a serious lack of power like barely able to start in 1st gear, but once i get going and get the revs up it seems to be ok. this makes me suspect some sort of fuel problem.

right now i dont really know where to go other than im going to chk the pcv valve tomorrow morning if i can find it, and throw some fresh gas in it (maybe bad gas??) i also checked the plug wires in the dark tonight, i can see them firing but doesnt look like theyre arcing at all.

i also have a ractive air filter on a rubber hose for my intake, i read somewhere if you have aftermarket intakes it can screw the mass airflow sensor, but if you spray with carb cleaner it can fix it?? i might also try that tomorrow.

changed the alternator when it started to die when driving thats what i thought it could be. no change when i changed that.

sorta seems like it could be fuel delivery, but im not sure. as it seems to only do it once in a while.

if anyone can post what to test , and nominal readings, i have a digital multimeter, (like sensors etc) that i could verify are all good.

thanks again for any help, i can still drive the truck but its annying as heck when it acts up and i look like a fool in my lowered truck limping down the road

--Allan

Old 08-10-2008, 02:37 AM
ptesmoke
Freshman User
shoot, sorry, its a 2wd, supercab, 5 speed, and lowered. new battery, new alternator, fresh oil, new plugs and wires, dist cap looks brand new (only had the truck since june /08) no check engine light comes on either!!! just runs like crap.

thanks again for any suggestions.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:32 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum!

There are a couple of places I would start. First, I'd invest in a Ford OBD-I code reader, which can had for around 35 bucks. Even though there's no Check Engine Light showing, there are still codes that can be generated and stored that don't trigger a light. You can pull codes without a code reader, it's just not quite as convenient. Here's how:

Ford Fuel Injection How To Run a Self-Test

At the bottom of that page is a link to the codes themselves and what they mean.

But...I would tend to suspect a fuel pressure problem from what you've said. There are a couple of visual checks you can make. It could be as simple as a plugged fuel filter. It's located on the inside on the left frame rail, just about under the driver's feet. Going from there, I'd check the Fuel Pressure Regulator ( Ford Fuel Injection Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) )
which is located on the fuel rail near the back of the engine. It's easy to get to, it's inboard of and above the driver's side valve cover, ahead of the distributor. What you do is simply pull the vacuum line off and check for the presence of fuel; there shouldn't be any there. If there is, then the diaphragm is leaking. However, if there isn't, it doesn't mean the the FPR is OK, it can still be bad in other ways. You'll need to move on to checking fuel pressure. You can cobble something up yourself if you're creative, or buy a cheap simple test kit like this one: (which is what I have)

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Your fuel pressure should be around 35-45 psi when you turn on the key without starting the engine. If it's below that, then I'd suspect either the fuel filter or the Fuel Pressure Regulator (as mentioned earlier) or the fuel pump itself. It could be that the fuel pump is weakening as it ages. Does it sound noisy to you? You should barely be able to hear it run, if it whines then that's a sign that it's on its way out. But it can go bad silently as well.

Another problem that Ford EFI engines are known for is the electronic ignition control module located on the distributor, known as the TFI module. These can go bad in such a way that the vehicle runs fine when cold, but starts to crap out and even die when it gets hot, then starts up again when it cools back down. Mounted on the distributor (which is a real bee-yatch to get to on this engine) it looks like this:

As far as cleaning your MAF, it can't hurt to try but I don't think it's your problem. Just be careful, you can do some damage. The filament is like a lightbulb filament and rather fragile, use a throttle body spray cleaner and don't touch the filament, just spray it gently and allow it to air dry.

Hope there's something in all this that's of help to you...

Old 08-10-2008, 12:20 PM
ptesmoke
Freshman User
thank you so much for the reply, im going to do the self check thing and see if i can get anything from it. ill also chk the fuel filter. hopefully if its clogged ill be able to see it.

you post suggested a few things, that im going to chk today. ill report back and let you know what i found out. thanks again. wish me luck!

Old 08-10-2008, 02:17 PM
ptesmoke
Freshman User
ok so i did the self test, heres the codes i got

KOEO- 67 neutral safety circuit

CM- 14- PIP ignition pickup pulse.

dont know exactly where to start, other than the cm code points towards the ignition, i have a spare coil i could throw in and see if it helps.

maybe its not the fuel??

thanks for any input ill be sitting here waiting to see what you guys think i should do

Old 08-10-2008, 02:25 PM
ptesmoke
Freshman User
hmm ok i put the stick in neutral and i no longer get the 67 code. (duh!)

now all i seem to get is the 14 in cm.

as long as im reading it right heres the squence

1 pause 1 pause 1 pause 1 pause 1 pause 1 pause 4 pause 1 pause 4 pause

i assume 11, 11, for system KOEO pass state

and 14, 14 for cm ignition pickup profile

let me kno!!

Old 08-10-2008, 03:06 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That code 14 could point to either the pickup in the distributor, or the TFI module I talked about earlier. Could even be a loose connection.

Be sure to check out the tech info page in the Ranger and B-series forum, there's way more info there than I can give you:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...formation.html

And here's a link from that page on troubleshooting the TFI ignition system:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/lc/lc.ph...tionSystem.doc

Old 08-10-2008, 03:11 PM
ptesmoke
Freshman User
thanks dan! ill go read that, thank you so much for your help this forum is amazing.

im assuming that code is what my problem is? did i mention when i changed the plug wires one was broken? should i have to clear that code and then chk again? is it possible that i need to reset the ecu since i changed that bad wire? if you want you can add me on msn if its easier to talk. Allan_Daigle AT hotmail.com

Old 08-10-2008, 05:04 PM
ptesmoke
Freshman User
i cleared the codes and re ran the self test, i now get a code 15 in the cm. ??? wtf?

Old 08-10-2008, 05:07 PM
ptesmoke
Freshman User
ok i might have had the door open, i just did it again and all 1's

how do you run the KOER ? leave that wire grounded and start it up??

Old 08-10-2008, 05:19 PM
ptesmoke
Freshman User
ok did the KOER and got codes, 21 and 77.

an ideas? i have no idea what ECT is.?

Old 08-10-2008, 06:28 PM
ptesmoke
Freshman User
ok so 21 and 77 are the coolant temp, it was cold, so no worries there, and 21 i believe is the WOT check, i didnt know i had to hit the throttle, ive since redone th KOER and i cant get the throttle thing right lol. just took her for a spin, seems to work a little better with the new wires, but under load in low rpm range it still feels like its missing, once rpms are up its fine it seems, also sitting in neutral in idle, it seems to run fine, only seems to stutter when starting in 1st gear on a hill or matting it in 4th while doing 50-60km/h

im gonna run outside and check for codes since i reset them, see if it still points to the ignition system. i think the old code 14 was from the bad plug wire. if theres no codes i think im going to check the fuel system, does that sound logical??

-ptesmoke

Old 08-10-2008, 06:39 PM
ptesmoke
Freshman User
no codes on the KOEO, KOER i got 12 and 77, i cant get the throttle thing right i guess.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:48 PM
ptesmoke
Freshman User
ok finally figured out i need to tap the brakes then turn the wheel, and do the gas thing after the first flash.

now this is what i have

KOEO --all 1's system ok
KOER --all 1's system ok

hmmm and this was after i was out driving it and it did its little jerky want to stall thing.

i did replace the fuel tank sending unit about a month ago, could loose gas lines on the top of the tank cause this??

Old 08-10-2008, 09:18 PM
ptesmoke
Freshman User
checked the lines on top of the tank and all the way up,everything looks new and tight, no leaks. only thing i can think of now is to get my hands on a fuel pressure guage and check it. im out of ideas, all the plugs looked fine too, about 6k on them (ngk v groove)

if anyone has any ideas let me know!

Quick Reply: 1990 2.9 help!