Will NOT idle!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 04:56 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by PRIMERED79 SHORT BED
Is D5AE AA a 2100 or a 2150?
If the choke pulloff is in the air horn, mounted vertically behind the choke tower, it's a 2100. If the choke pulloff is mounted horizontally on the passenger side external to the carburetor, it's a 2150.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:18 PM
OldStyle
Rusty Roller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the choke still wont open all the way.
Are you sure you have the choke spring inserted it the slot in the linkage arm?

Attached Images  
Old 02-12-2012, 07:08 PM
PRIMERED79 SHORT BED
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes I made sure the spring was in the fork, I double checked it.
I just noticed in the pic you just posted that it appears to have a piston in the vacuum hole, do the 2150 have that?
Because mine doesn't.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:32 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I just noticed in the pic you just posted that it appears to have a piston in the vacuum hole, do the 2150 have that?
No, a 2150 will have that sealed off. That's just left over in the casting from when the pulloff was in the choke housing itself, in the days of the ancient Autolite 2100 series carbs.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:48 PM
PRIMERED79 SHORT BED
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Ok good thanks.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:49 PM
OldStyle
Rusty Roller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That pic was just to show the fork. My book doesn't show a piston.

Edit: Took me too long to confirm.... Thanks fmc400

Old 11-22-2012, 07:59 AM
coondog41
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1979 2150 carb

great info do have choke working properly now. engine is a 302 v-8 thx all

Old 06-24-2013, 03:35 PM
fiveofsevin
Cross-Country
Re:

Ah, its my turn now. 302 2bbl 2150 carb, wont idle. truck ran like a champ until a couple daze ago. cant find any vacuum leak, idle circuit in carb is clear. Grrrrrr.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:36 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by fmc400
Fast idle speed. Once your fast idle cam is properly aligned, you must adjust the speed at which the engine idles when the fast idle is engaged. You will notice that under fast idle, the throttle plates are open further. I usually adjust this to allow the engine to run at a 200-300 RPM higher than curb idle. Contrary to most of my statements in this post, this adjustment can be trial-and-error provided the linkage is working in the first place.
200-300 RPM higher than curb idle? That isn't nearly enough speed to burn the richer mixture provided from the choke. Ford calls for a fast idle speed of 1500 RPM or higher. When you start the engine, let it idle until the RPM starts to increase to about 1750 RPM. This tells you the engine is ready to come off of fast idle. Then tap the gas pedal to bring the fast idle cam down a notch, which drops the engine RPM down some, but still higher than curb idle. Usually around 1000 RPM. This is a more reasonable RPM to put the transmission in gear and drive away. As you drive away, the fast idle cam will eventually drop down completely so that the curb idle will take over when the engine is fully warmed up. (This is why it is called an automatic choke.)

You are *supposed* to adjust the fast idle speed when the engine is running and fully warmed up. That's right, fully warmed up. You will need two hands for this procedure. Locate the "V" on the fast idle cam. With one hand, slightly open the throttle. With the other, manually rotate the fast idle cam so that the fast idle screw is inline with the "V." When you get it there, hold the cam and release the throttle and it will stay in this position. (Do not touch the gas, or else the fast idle cam will drop down again, because the engine is already fully warmed up.) This allows you to adjust the fast idle RPM, which is usually 1500 RPM or higher on some models.

Capiche?

Old 01-17-2020, 10:01 PM
black & blue 78/9
Laughing Gas
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
I know this is an OLD thread but was very helpful to me. I have read post #30 many times. Now when the weather bumps up a little and the wind gets below 30mph maybe I can make some adjustments.

Old 01-25-2020, 04:53 PM
Beaglerock
New User
Choke explanatory setup

Originally Posted by fmc400
This is going to be a long one. But I want your problem to be fixed. Read up.

Instead of experimenting trial-and-error with the float level, only set it to the factory specification. If you do that and you still have problems, the problem is elsewhere. You can't mask another problem by compensating with the float level.

Since the carburetor is already on the engine, check the wet height of the float. Start the motor and let it run until it's at operating temp, and remove the air horn from the carburetor to expose the fuel bowl. Measure the distance from the center of the fuel level to the top machined surface of the fuel bowl, and this is the wet height. The rebuild sheet will specify what this height should be. If your measured height does not match the specified height, you must remove the float, bend the tang, and start over. Don't forget to snap the float retainer in place when you replace the float.

Be careful when you remove or bump the float, as fuel will spray out of the needle. Also be careful when doing this check, because you have an open fuel source and a running motor. Do this step correctly, and we can take the float out of the picture. Don't waste your time playing guessing games when working with carburetors. Take the time to do things right and do them once, and you won't have problems.

Here is how you take care of the choke and fast idle issues. Once again, proper procedures dominate shade-tree trial-and-error time and time again. Please read my instructions carefully.

Choke pulloff clearance. When you get in any carbureted vehicle to start it first thing in the morning, you push the gas pedal once to "load the choke." This snaps the choke plate shut all the way. Because it's just a spring, its job is to tighten itself. It can't accurately control "how much" it tightens. If we just let the choke pull the choke plate all the way shut when you first start the motor, there will be no way for air to get into the engine. Therefore there is a "choke pulloff" which serves to slightly open the choke plate against the choke spring tension, just enough for air to pass in. The vacuum created by the starter cranking the motor pulls the pulloff diaphragm and lets that first sip of air through.

To adjust the choke pulloff, the motor must be cold and shut off. Loosen the 3 choke cap retaining screws and rotate the choke 90 degrees toward the back of the truck to completely shut the choke. Then, find the choke pulloff vacuum motor on the rear passenger side of the carb. There is an arm coming out of it which actuates the choke linkage. Press the arm all the way in to simulate vacuum pulling the diaphragm, and the choke plate should open slightly. In your rebuild sheet will be a "pulloff clearance" specification and it will be something like 3/32" and such. You must take a drill bit of this size and insert it between the rear of the choke tower and the back-end of the choke plate, to measure how far it is open. It acts like a feeler gauge. There is a small set-screw in the back of the choke pulloff. If your pulloff clearance is not to specification, you must adjust that screw and start the procedure over.

Fast idle index. While the choke is engaged, there is a mechanism to raise the idle above curb idle because the enriched fuel mixture requires the engine to run at a higher RPM. There are two settings for this - fast idle speed, which controls engine RPM during this time, and fast idle index - which controls how much of the choke engagement time that the linkage actually contributes.

When things are functioning properly on a Motorcraft 2V carburetor, there are 3 stages to startup - start, fast idle and curb idle. A small cam on the passenger side of the carburetor has 3 steps and controls this. When you first start the truck and you load the choke in the morning, the engine starts at its highest possible RPM and the throttle linkage is on the first step of the cam. When you bump the gas pedal again, the fast idle linkage is released and allowed to drop, at which point the throttle linkage is on the second step of the cam. The throttle linkage remains on this step of the cam for the entire length of time the choke is opening. Once the choke is completely open, the cam drops out of the linkage completely and the carburetor returns to curb idle. This is where the engine remains for the rest of the driving until the engine cools down again the next morning, and the process starts over.

To properly idle during warmup, it is imperative that you sync your choke with the fast idle cam. Again, there is a factory procedure for this. If you're with me so far, your choke cap is still rotated 90 degrees from when you were setting the choke pulloff clearance. Here is where to go from there:

1. If the choke isn't rotated toward the back of the truck already, do so now.
2. Open the throttle, and hold it there with one hand.
3. With your other hand, push the choke pulloff rod in all the way, the same way you did in the pulloff clearance procedure. The choke should now be open in the pulloff position.
4. Your other hand is still holding on to the throttle. Let go of the throttle, so that it rests again.
5. Now the important part. Look down at the fast idle linkage, underneath the choke cap on the passenger side of the carb. There is a small cam above the throttle shaft. You will see a small V notched onto the second step of the cam, and you will see a long screw with its tip touching the surface of the cam. The tip of this screw must be aligned perfectly with this V. This is the measurement Ford uses to tell you that you've set the fast idle index properly. If it is not aligned with the V, there is a small hex screw on the plastic fast idle arm in the linkage. You turn this to adjust the index. Each time you adjust this screw, you must start this procedure over and check for alignment.
6. Note that anytime you adjust pulloff clearance, you must adjust fast idle index. This is why I had you check the clearance first, before doing this procedure. Make sure one thing is right before you move on to the next.

This configuration gives the following results: when you first start the engine, the idle is high. Once you get out of your driveway and start driving while the engine is still warming up, the idle is still high, but not as high as when you first started it. Once the truck is warmed up completely, the choke is open and the idle returns to normal.

Fast idle speed. Once your fast idle cam is properly aligned, you must adjust the speed at which the engine idles when the fast idle is engaged. You will notice that under fast idle, the throttle plates are open further. I usually adjust this to allow the engine to run at a 200-300 RPM higher than curb idle. Contrary to most of my statements in this post, this adjustment can be trial-and-error provided the linkage is working in the first place.

Choke cap index. If you're still with me, the choke cap is rotated toward the back of the truck. Now you must align it properly. On the rim of the black choke cap is a small notch. On the metal choke housing to which it attaches are seven notches. The goal here is to align the notch on the cap to one of the seven notches on the housing. Going from the back of the truck toward the front, the notches are represented as 3 Rich, 2 Rich, 1 Rich, Index, 1 Lean, 2 Lean, 3 Lean. On the emissions label attached to your hood or valve cover, it will say which notch to align the choke to. If your label is long gone, 1 Rich is usually a safe ball-park figure. This adjustment is often changed during winter and summer season changes. While you're doing this, this is a good time to make sure the choke spring is properly engaging the choke linkage tang inside the housing, as this is often overlooked during a carb rebuild. Once you have the choke cap aligned, tighten the three retaining screws back down.

If you follow the procedures above, your choke and fast idle will be set properly. Like I said before, proper carburetor performance comes from closely following proper procedures, not making guestimates. Ford engineers marked these carbs with all sorts of notches and numbers for a reason - so that they may be tuned properly.
This is by far the best explanation of how to setup a MC 2150 choke! Bar none Thank you fmc400