1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

King pin bearing question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 12:51 PM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
King pin bearing question...

Well, I'm ready to install my front spindles. As the illustration shows, there's a bearing at the bottom of the axle, that goes between the axle and bottom bushing on the spindle. However, evidently mine has been worked on before - on one side, the bearing was facing "up" and the other it was "down". One side is totally shielded, and the other could be open to the elements. I'm curious whether it is advantageous to put the bearing in one way or the other - with the better "seal" either up or down. It serves as a thrust bearing, I'm sure. I'm basically concerned that with the closed side down, whatever moisture that gets in there, will stay and rust, as it would be like a cup. With the open side down, it seems like it would be more inclined to get road water in, since the bearing is out of the rain, and water coming down isn't a problem, just water picked up on a wet road, but what water DOES get in there, would run out easier.

Does anyone know the correct orientation for this bearing? The book doesn't mention it...

Thanks! (am I being too **** about this stuff??)

Oh yeah, when I pulled it apart, both had significant rust in them, hard to turn, but the one with the open side facing up was quite a bit worse...

Old 07-31-2008, 12:57 PM
52 F3
Elder User
Put the closed side next to the axle. The open side should let grease into the bearing when greasing the spindle bolt.
Richard

Old 07-31-2008, 01:12 PM
rcav8or
Richard - thanks! that makes sense, I figured there had to be SOME reason to put it a certain way.

Just ran over and got it together. Man, how nice - smooooth, and no slop whatsoever! And that's with just a thin coat of lightweight oil - can't wait to get grease into there!

Grease the spindle bolt?!? What a novel idea!!

R

Old 07-31-2008, 01:14 PM
rcav8or
Oh yeah, love your F3!!

R