I went under cover tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 10:57 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
I went under cover tonight...

And check out what I saw:

Yepper, finally got around to starting the glow plug job. I've got the 4 on the driver's side changed. Changing the GP's is the easy part, what I hated was the sadistic ritual required to remove the rearmost valve cover bolt (note to self... find the engineer who decided cab over motor was a good idea and kick him in the nuts... repeatedly). Not looking forward to the passenger side with all the crap in the way... There was quite a bit of oil in there and I forgot to grab a rag, so I just went as fast as I could so not too much would get into the cylinders. It won't be going anywhere for a while, I don't think I'll have any problems (I hope not).
OK, now for the questions you just new I was going to ask:

I didn't wipe all the oil off, but I don't see any reason to think the wiring would have rubbed on any of the pushrods. Am I right? Here's the one I did check:

Someone on another forum suggested to me that running as long as I have with a dead glow plug may have burned the wiring for that GP... I'm guessing this will become apparent when I ohm the glow plugs?

I'm guessing the two bolts on the outside of the rocker arms are the pedestal bolts, and that there are 3 bolts holding the injector in (2 above, 1 below)... yes/no?

Finally, I like to call this one "what is daddy doing to his dumb old truck now..."

Old 07-29-2008, 11:05 PM
totin_tools
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good, did you find any loose connections on the GP's? Did you ohm the gasket out while it was connected and then disconnected? Did you get the clips everyone talks about for the harness or did they come with the GP's? Sorry for all the questions but I need to do the same thing myself. While your in there dont forget to tighten all the bolts up on the rockers and injectors.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:09 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
All bolts under the VC will be tightened, that's why I was asking about which bolts are what (my first time too).
Lets see here..
Loose connections- no
Did I ohm it out- no, going to do that when it goes back together
Clips- nope, but those buggers were on there tight
I bought my GP's on Ebay for $40 for the full set, new in the bag Motorcraft glow plugs.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:12 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
You have the right bolts for the pedestals. There are only two holding the injectors. The lower one is the only one I worried about as it pretty much tightens against the other on a fulcrum style assembly that holds the injector in. The upper injector hold down bolt is hard to see with the injector in.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:15 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
What's with all the black goo on that one injector?
And you have one cute little daughter.
If she were mine, she would be daddy's little princess = SPOILED.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:17 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
I saw that goo too. At first I thought he may have had them replaced but see it is goo.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:20 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Are you talking about the front injector Dan? It's not really thick and gooey, just looks that way in the photo. Actually without the flash, all but one (the third one from the front) have a dark black color on them, with the 3rd one being a dark brown... I figured it had something to do with being under the CCV.
My daughter is very, very spoiled (both of them are actually, but its a lot easier to spoil a 3 year old than a 9 month old). How could you not spoil her?

Old 07-29-2008, 11:43 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
You guys were giving me a complex about my gooey injector so I had to go back out there... the "goo" is light reflecting off the letters stamped in the injector under a thin coat of oil that is due to be changed. Goo free is the way to be

Old 07-29-2008, 11:51 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Methinks you need to change your oil a little more often.
Treasure those times with your little girls.
They grow up QUICK, and then it's while they are out and you are at home, cleaning your gun.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:41 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
... what I hated was the sadistic ritual required to remove the rearmost valve cover bolt (note to self... find the engineer who decided cab over motor was a good idea and kick him in the nuts... repeatedly).
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Methinks you need to change your oil a little more often.
Treasure those times with your little girls.
They grow up QUICK, and then it's while they are out and you are at home, cleaning your gun.
I agree with all of these statements.

My injectors didn't look nearly that dirty. I found this pic

And will look for some more tonight, but all of mine looked that clean. I know you got the truck used, but make sure you stay on top of those oil changes.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:18 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That looks good Chris, hope mine look that good when I do mine. I also like the quarter mod.

Chase, good job and thanks for showing the gasket. I didn't know the harness for the glow plugs were in the gasket. Keep the pics up.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:00 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks Chase for the pics. I like visual aids. Will have to remember this when I do mine.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:20 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
...And you have one cute little daughter.
If she were mine, she would be daddy's little princess = SPOILED.

Who could EVER say "No" to THOSE big baby blues?

You and I share the fact that we each have at least one beautiful daughter, Chase. My oldest just turned 18 and the other one is 8-1/2. I feel for you... you're going to have to exercise some supernaturally-inspired self-control to prevent you from hurting someone in the future! Don't ask me how I know!

Old 07-30-2008, 09:12 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
It is extremely, extremely hard to say no to those big 'ol blue eyes! I fear for my sanity as the girls get older... I'm going to become very friendly with the people at the local sporting goods store who sell guns and ammo, because I'll be needing at least the ammo and a lot of it
When I bought this truck in February, the dealer I bought it from changed the oil right before I bought it (no idea what type of oil they or the PO used). It's got 5500 miles on it now, I have the new stuff waiting to go in. I'll keep a closer eye on it in the future.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:28 AM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Originally Posted by superduty4x4
"You mean YOU'VE got PMS TOO, DADDY????"