1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'53-'55 Inside Handles

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 04:00 PM
kripfink
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'53-'55 Inside Handles

Hi Guys,
here's the story. . . .
just had my window and door regulator shafts replaced with nice new ones, and tried to fit the nice shiny new handles and cranks. Surprise, surprise, the castings are so bad they just keep falling off. Can anyone tell me who can supply GOOD REPLACEMENTS, or has anyone out there got some old OEMs with decent splines that they would sell me, and ship to the UK? The finish doesn't matter, as I can get them re-chromed here.
Typical, we finally got some summer weather here, and by the time I get the windows open, it's dark already! HELP!

Old 07-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Hey dude, check your new splines? Mid Fifty and some others had some problems with their vendor and some of their splines were junk. I ran into that problem for a customer's 56 back in the winter. I sent them back and they sent me some new ones No hassle or nothing. You also might look into using the '56's they go on with set screws instead of clips. Or is it vice versa? Anyway, find the ones with set screws and see if that might fix it or look at your splines. I hope this helps

Old 07-29-2008, 05:55 PM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just bought new window cranks and door handles from NPD. They came in Dennis Carpenter bags. They look and fit great!

Old 07-30-2008, 07:04 AM
kripfink
Junior User
Checked out the splines with the one handle that does fit,& that seems Ok on all of them.Besides,when you look inside the handles,you can see that the castings are not properly formed.
Dave,the door handles are the set screw kind,but I can't even get them all the way onto the regulator shaft
Anyhoo,I'm gonna put it down to a bad batch,and try some from NPD.Trouble is,from over here it costs me more to send them back than it does to just try again.Maybe if I wind up with six sets I'll get enough good castings to make one
On the bright side,before I posted this thread,I had no idea that you could get those escutcheons for the handles.Kool,that'll save some wear'n'tear on the tuck'n'roll !

Old 07-30-2008, 07:53 AM
jaye
Posting Guru
I got mine from Dennis C and they fit great.