New Member Introductions New to FTE? Introduce yourself here!

04 Edge V6 engine code location - KS

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 11:05 AM
rdana
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Edge V6 engine code location - KS

I suspect a repair shop swaped out the engine,instead of doing high priced piston and head work.I have been told there is a code etched on the block,that will relate to the VIN #.I have been looking for it on the driver side,but have had no luck finding it. HELP!

Thanks Bob

Old 07-29-2008, 06:28 PM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 164 Likes on 98 Posts
Hi Bob, welcome to FTE.

Try posting your question in one of the tech forums. Perhaps you may want to start at this link,,, Ford V6 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

FTE has a local chapter for Kansas members which you can visit at this link,,, Kansas Chapter - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Glad to have you onboard!

Old 07-29-2008, 10:40 PM
fordnut1985
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First off, welcome to the site!!!

As far as casting numbers on the newer stuff, I really can't say for sure but 99% of the time they are right on top of the bell housing.

What shop did the work?? Did you pay for a rebuild?? Tell us a lil more about the situation.

BTW, stop by and check out your local chapter.Kansas Chapter - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Old 08-01-2008, 09:36 AM
rdana
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The story goes like this, my grandson and I were changing plugs on his 04 v6 Edge. The #4 plug was hard to replace because of its location,it went in at an angle breaking the tip off the plug.We did not realize this until the engine was started,and we had a tick-tick.needless to say we had created a problem.not wanting to do any more harm,the truck was towed to a Wichita Ford dealer. They said the tip had caused damage to the piston and the cylinder..they estimated the repair at around $800-$900. That estimate changed when the service writer said the engine had to be pulled out to do the work.when the job was done the bill had gone to $3400. I paid the bill,but after looking over the invoice there were items that I did not see like piston rings,intake and exhaust gaskets,oil pan gasket.there instead were such items as a thermostat,camshaft gear,timing cover seal and a fuel ing adpter...The invoice broke down this way..labor$2112,parts$684.95Sublet for head work $425 Tax$203=$3424.93 I am trying to figure out what they did,and if there is a salvage motor in the truck I am going to get the law involved,something is not right. Bob