Sponsored by: Moser

Ford's New Business Plan

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 09:26 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ArtsBest
Well said Lxman. As for some of these other posts?????? Chrysler gets 60% of their past sales form the SUV/truck arena. NOT 50%. Big difference which means they are the FIRST to go. To bad Snow. Your Wall Street hedge fund BS bombed when you bought Chrysler. One of the legacy air carriers will go too. It's anyone's bet which one but I'm guessing American. As for Ford and GM? Much different world in which they now compete. We'll see whom offers the best high MPG fleet of cars. Because that's where the future lies as we all know now.
Im guessing US Airways and/or United. American is the best run of the legacy carriers. I would of said Northwest, but it looks like the Delta merger is on, for now.

Back on topic. Some of you seem to think that Europe and Australia dont have safety or emissions standards. German TUV crash tests are at least as stringent as US DOT or Transport Canada. The main thing keeping those cars out is economic, that is, currency exchange rates. The Saturn Astra is an imported Opel, and GM cant make money on them even at close to $20k. It takes time to retool factories here (NAFTA zone) from body-on-frame trucks to FWD unit body cars.

I trust Alan a heck of a lot more than the dopes running GM or Nardelli, that ruined Home Depot, now running Chrysler.

Jim

Old 07-23-2008, 10:23 AM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimandmandy
Im guessing US Airways and/or United. American is the best run of the legacy carriers. I would of said Northwest, but it looks like the Delta merger is on, for now.

Back on topic. Some of you seem to think that Europe and Australia dont have safety or emissions standards. German TUV crash tests are at least as stringent as US DOT or Transport Canada. The main thing keeping those cars out is economic, that is, currency exchange rates. The Saturn Astra is an imported Opel, and GM cant make money on them even at close to $20k. It takes time to retool factories here (NAFTA zone) from body-on-frame trucks to FWD unit body cars.

I trust Alan a heck of a lot more than the dopes running GM or Nardelli, that ruined Home Depot, now running Chrysler.

Jim
Nobody is saying they don't have emissions and safety standards. They do. They are MUCH lower though. Last time I was in europe and looked under a friend's renault clio, there was 1 cat. Compare that to the 6 cats on my mustang.

If they were just as stringent in Germany, why is it the Smart gained 400lbs and lost almost 30mpg coming over here, while staying the same exact shape and size?? Why did it lose the diesel engine?

Old 07-23-2008, 11:26 AM
magusjinx
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As an aside about other countries standards ... I was in New Zealand around 1999 ... Back then you had to have your vehicle inspected every year and were issued a warrant of fitness ... No holes in your exhaust, no smoke, minimal body rust, all electrical had to work, minimal dents and dings, no cracked windshields ... Any or all of these criteria can be found in a multitude of US cars on the road ...

I have seen a few foreign vehicles that are high mpg/low speed that would be assets in a lot of places in the USA ... The Indian BAJAJ three-wheeler is a case in point ... I would love to have one and here in the flats they would be great ...

Old 07-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by magusjinx
As an aside about other countries standards ... I was in New Zealand around 1999 ... Back then you had to have your vehicle inspected every year and were issued a warrant of fitness ... No holes in your exhaust, no smoke, minimal body rust, all electrical had to work, minimal dents and dings, no cracked windshields ... Any or all of these criteria can be found in a multitude of US cars on the road ...

I have seen a few foreign vehicles that are high mpg/low speed that would be assets in a lot of places in the USA ... The Indian BAJAJ three-wheeler is a case in point ... I would love to have one and here in the flats they would be great ...
I saw the same kind of restrictions in europe as far as esthetics, can't drive with a dent or rust showing or anything like that even. that doesn't change the emissions the engine has to put up with from the factory to meet emission standards. Holes in your exhaust - that's a pretty big one, that won't fly in most cases here either, most states due to noise, and some states that still do sniffer tests won't let you pass either.

The People's Republik of Kalifornia is notorious for their EPA laws...

Old 07-23-2008, 02:47 PM
Powerdude
Elder User
The reason Europeans have about a billion laws to guarantee the "safety" of the vehicle (no rust, holes in exhaust, cracks in windshield) is to guarantee jobs for mechanics and their social welfare economies.

The "Big Brother Social State" that Europeans have is inefficient, ridiculously overpriced in terms of gasoline due to taxes, and corrupt.

No thanks.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:13 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
And they have cameras watching every move you make!!!

Old 07-23-2008, 11:45 PM
WillFordTruck
Cross-Country
Let's be Americans, not Europeans, Japanese, or any other peons. Let's vote OUT the @#$%^&*( who refuse to let us use our own resources. Set American ingenuity free.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:00 AM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by WillFordTruck
Let's be Americans, not Europeans, Japanese, or any other peons. Let's vote OUT the @#$%^&*( who refuse to let us use our own resources. Set American ingenuity free.

but think of the polar bears....

which according to NBC, live in the antarctic...

Global Climate Scam Blog Archive Chicken Little and the North Pole Icecap

This is what we should expect from a press corps fully vested in the global warming industry. It has gotten so bad that in January NBC News showed a moving piece on the plight of the Antarctic, with footage of polar bears. The news would’ve been how in the world those bears got to the other side of the planet from where they really live. Outdoing itself, NBC recently also ran a piece on the Arctic, and showed us penguins. Sigh.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:39 AM
LxMan1

Originally Posted by WillFordTruck

I agree, we need to be more self sufficient.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:58 AM
elemint
Elder User
Climate change is real and the only industry that is selling propaganda is industry and right wing wack jobs that hide behind bogus third party groups that are funded buy industry. The planet as we know it has maybe 50 years left at the current pace, but greed and politics is more important to some people on this planet. Wake up and turn off the .001 of idiot "scientists" that are funded by parasites.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Capbyrd
Senior User
good thing i will be dead in 50 years.

climate change is normal. did you know that we had an ICE AGE? oh no, the ice melted and gave us land. what ever are we gonna do?

Old 08-18-2008, 10:23 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by elemint
Climate change is real and the only industry that is selling propaganda is industry and right wing wack jobs that hide behind bogus third party groups that are funded buy industry. The planet as we know it has maybe 50 years left at the current pace, but greed and politics is more important to some people on this planet. Wake up and turn off the .001 of idiot "scientists" that are funded by parasites.
Where is your proof? You made the claim, you back it up.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:42 PM
rickey498
Junior User
Are guys kidding me? Where's the proof. If you walk outside it is right in front off you. El Nino? The extreme weather that has been happening all acroos the earth. It is probably not effect you in the short term but it will in the long term. Global warming is acually very simple. The more carbon you put in the air the warmer the earth gets. It traps the heat in. As the earth gets warmer it melts the ice caps and the perma frost up north. As the perma frost melts it releases methan into the air which traps more heat and creates a snow ball effect. It raises the sea levels. It makes the oceans warmer which creates more violent hurricanes. We had several ice ages. When the earth has an ice age the sea levels drop and you have more land. but, what does that have to do with global warming. Climate change is nateral and it is something that happens over millions of years not decades. What is happening now is completely our faults. As long as people like you guys keep turning a blind eye to it the problem is going to get worse. How many edible animals do you see in the desert? It is kind of hard for them to survive with out plants to eat. I gues that does really effect you does it. It will effect your grand kids.
But, who cares right?

Old 08-18-2008, 02:30 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
"Prove" to me there is no Santa Claus...

Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Where is your proof? You made the claim, you back it up.
A consensus of virtually all nonbiased environmental scientists around the globe is sufficient proof to me.

Your straw man argument about "where is your proof" is similar to my topic heading. Can you personally PROVE to me right now that there is no Santa Claus? Can you PROVE to me that cigarettes cause lung cancer?

Mankind causing global warming is not the kind of proof that can be provided in a forum post....but if you do some serious research in material provided by the world's scientific community, global warming is very real.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:46 PM
irishammer
Senior User
Global warming is a joke! Al Gore was a huge part of jamming this down our throats...SURPRISE....he has heavily invested in companies poised to make a killing!!! Even most of the scientists that did some of the research have back-pedaled. Man is quite arrogant if we think we can look at a 200 year window in an Earth lifetime of 4 BILLION years and think he can tell that the Earth has warmed and is in a warming trend!!!!! 1 degree no less. E-85 is another joke as well but that is a whole other thread.....

Quick Reply: Ford's New Business Plan