Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

cab lights

Old 07-22-2008, 05:41 AM
aaronlockhart
Senior User
aaronlockhart is starting off with a positive reputation.
cab lights

Somebody convinced me to buy cab lights, what the hell; they were only fifteen bucks...

Now I'm just wondering the best way to mount them... Somehow I think drilling holes in the roof might come with some unwanted consequences; like rust, or more importantly the roof leaking in the rain...

I'm contemplating buying a Lund sunvisor, thats not the most cost effective strategy unfortunatly... Anybody got any suggestions, or am I just paranoid and should get the drill out?

Old 07-22-2008, 12:28 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
frederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to all
The lights install with a gasket underneath each light, which keeps out the rain and moisture. Mine have been on "forever" and they still don't leak and the mounting holes didn't look even slightly rusty when I had the headliner down last summer.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:46 PM
White Max
Elder User
White Max has a good reputation on FTE.White Max has a good reputation on FTE.
You're going to need to get the drill out...how are you planning on running the wires to them without drilling? As frederic said, they should have come with gaskets to prevent them from leaking. Just make sure that you like the way they look and that you have them laid out correctly before drilling holes.

-Rod

Old 07-22-2008, 09:51 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
frederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to allfrederic is a name known to all
Another tip for the truly paranoid, you can always slather RTV underneath the gasket Make sure whatever goop you use is compatible with the gasket material.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:25 PM
gweeds
Elder User
gweeds is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by frederic View Post
Another tip for the truly paranoid, you can always slather RTV underneath the gasket Make sure whatever goop you use is compatible with the gasket material.
That's what I always do (because I'm truly paranoid) and have never had any leaks. Cheap insurance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.