need recharge advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2001, 01:24 PM
tmcalavy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
need recharge advice

My AC system (90 f150, 300 I-6) quit blowing cold...only blows cool. Not good enough for 100+ Texas summers. System was professionally converted to R134 two years ago, and don't find any underhood evidence of a leak. Compressor and clutch function fine. What is the best kit/brand for a do-it-yourself recharge? Anywhere I can get step by step instructions? Want to research this before I spend any bucks. Any help/advice appreciated.

Old 07-16-2001, 05:59 AM
karljay
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
need recharge advice

I've converted a few of mine just by buying the $25 kit from a local parts house. Mine comes out about 48 deg on a normal day and I did nothing special, just opened the old system for flush out the old stuff and added the new stuff.

After checking for low freon, I'd check the belts and the switch that cycles the compressor on and off. I've been told that you need to turn the switch up a bit for proper cooling, but if yours cooled properly before, it's probably just a slow leak.

Old 07-16-2001, 11:51 AM
tmcalavy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
need recharge advice

Decided to have my favorite shop check the system charge level. How do you check the AC switch and bump it up for cooler temps?

Old 07-18-2001, 01:26 AM
chillyman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need recharge advice

Be careful with clutch cycling switches.

R134a is already running at a higher pressure than what your system was running with R-12.

Depending on how extensive your retro-fit was, you may have more than one leak. Do your compressor (and possibly your wallet) a favor and try to fix the leaks before recharging.

Good Luck,
chillyman

Old 07-18-2001, 09:32 AM
karljay
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
need recharge advice

Mine has a temp sensor that goes inside the box where you get condensation. This is where the system would ice up if it where to run non-stop. Mine has a little box that has adjustable on and off screws on the bottom and a wire that goes out to the compressor.

If you follow the wire from the compressor, you'll probably find it goes to one of these. I took mine apart and placed it in the freezer to find the switch point, the main function of this switch is to keep the system from icing up. Mine has an adjustable shut off point and adjustable turn on point.

Old 07-18-2001, 05:16 PM
aerocolorado
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
need recharge advice