Florida Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Ronnie Shierling

Volunteers Needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 10:09 AM
felixr
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Volunteers Needed!!

Attention all Florida Chapter members and readers of the forum!

I wanted to speak to you all about some changes I wanted to make to our Chapter. I think that these changes will seriously impact our level of success in reaching out (get togethers,meets etc) to all members across the state. The ultimate goal here is to build the Florida Chapter up. I want what we all want for our chapter. We all have the same wish deep down inside. We want something we can associate with as being the "home" for our hobby/love of our trucks. We all want for this chapter to be more active in the forums, get-togethers, shows etc. Otherwise, we wouldn't keep logging in to check for new posts. Well, that is my intention. I want to build our chapter up and I need YOUR HELP. Without you, I and this chapter can go nowhere.

So, as a first order of business as it were, I want to implement a sort of management or government system for our chapter. I think one of our biggest issues for get-togethers and meets is that we are all spread out too far. With gas the way it is now it makes things worse. We have to admit, if we are going to make this work, we need to drop that barrier in our thinking when it comes to meets. It's not that I'm asking to drop 100 extra bucks on gas every week to make meets and get togethers and the chapter itself work. Yes, its probably going to cost you some extra gas money to come to a meet cause it probably wont be right behind your house. We all need to commit to making a small sacrifice once on a while to go to a meet. The company alone should make up for it. If not, well then, let's try to make the meets at hooter's all the time as a backup lol

YES, I'm officially asking all of you to please make a sacrifice when it comes to gas in order to make it to a meet that might be a little far. I ask respectfully of course. Do it for the chapter, for the fun you might have, for the friendships that you might forge that may last a lifetime. If not, do it to show off your truck. If your truck looks like crap then do it to learn from someone who has done what you want to do to yours

Anyway, off of that tangent and on to another. I apologize for the length of this post but you're gonna have to kinda get used to it cause I tend to do it a lot lol. Sorry in advance. If you didn't read this far to begin with well then you missed the apology and it sucks to be you lol

I would like to try and eliminate the issue of all of us being spread out so far in the state by creating Chapter Divisions. Like in Baseball or other Chapters even!

I need your input though. I will create a poll requesting your opinion on how many divisions we should have and what areas should be included in each division.

I will also need volunteers to lead each division. I will need the assistance of those of you that live in each division created to rally the troups, help organize meets in your division, help get Ford Truck owners to come to the site etc.

Each one of these "Division Leaders" will assist the Chapter Leader with these duties in their respective areas and will be part of an elite squad of rogue agents who are trained to kill . . .oh sorry, got a little carried away there.

As a sort of incentive however I was thinking maybe I could send you guys like some of my wife's company's baked goods. She has a small baked goods company that she started from home and she makes pretty much anything from cookies to muffins to loaves(sp?) etc and they are extremely good! Bias, I know. But get over it lol

So yeah, it would be like a book of the month club type of deal only it wont be books and it probably wont be monthly since sending something to each of you every month would cost like a trillion bucks lol

It will be more like a "Surprise muffin or cookies of the once in a while club"

okay so I will post a poll to ask your opinion on the division thing and then I will post a "Volunteer Here" type of thread once we figure out the whole division thing.

How does this sound to everyone? My genuine hope is that this will serve to build up the chapter and satisfy its members.

Thank you guys VERY VERY MUCH for reading this far!!!

Old 07-14-2008, 01:40 PM
felixr
Elder User
Come on guys . . . you're reading it . . . POST your thoughts! you can do it!!

Old 07-14-2008, 05:12 PM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by felixr
Come on guys . . . you're reading it . . . POST your thoughts! you can do it!!
When we get moved down that way,I'll be happy to help in any way I can. We are still looking at cities there where there are jobs and reasonable rentals.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:21 PM
felixr
Elder User
Thanks a LOT Rebel. I appreciate that.

I heard from someone in Tampa that its not doin so great jobwise right now but that could just be in one sector. There must be SOME place online where there is up to date info from research done for the state regarding best places to live etc

good luck with that, when are you looking at moving?

Old 07-14-2008, 05:24 PM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
I hope soon,My oldest son lost his job last night and my wife can't find one. I am not able to work so location is up in the air but we fell in love with Fl when we visited a few years ago.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:10 PM
felixr
Elder User
Hope things look up soon. Check out my latest post for some helpful links! Don't forget to vote on the divisions poll too.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:21 AM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 157 Likes on 93 Posts
Cliff meet Felix, Felix meet Cliff

Add your first name to your sig so we can get to know you.lol

Great job Felix, looks like a plan!

Old 11-29-2008, 08:23 AM
WaterManPete
New User
Originally Posted by felixr
Attention all Florida Chapter members and readers of the forum!

I wanted to speak to you all about some changes I wanted to make to our Chapter. I think that these changes will seriously impact our level of success in reaching out (get togethers,meets etc) to all members across the state. The ultimate goal here is to build the Florida Chapter up. I want what we all want for our chapter. We all have the same wish deep down inside. We want something we can associate with as being the "home" for our hobby/love of our trucks. We all want for this chapter to be more active in the forums, get-togethers, shows etc. Otherwise, we wouldn't keep logging in to check for new posts. Well, that is my intention. I want to build our chapter up and I need YOUR HELP. Without you, I and this chapter can go nowhere.

So, as a first order of business as it were, I want to implement a sort of management or government system for our chapter. I think one of our biggest issues for get-togethers and meets is that we are all spread out too far. With gas the way it is now it makes things worse. We have to admit, if we are going to make this work, we need to drop that barrier in our thinking when it comes to meets. It's not that I'm asking to drop 100 extra bucks on gas every week to make meets and get togethers and the chapter itself work. Yes, its probably going to cost you some extra gas money to come to a meet cause it probably wont be right behind your house. We all need to commit to making a small sacrifice once on a while to go to a meet. The company alone should make up for it. If not, well then, let's try to make the meets at hooter's all the time as a backup lol

YES, I'm officially asking all of you to please make a sacrifice when it comes to gas in order to make it to a meet that might be a little far. I ask respectfully of course. Do it for the chapter, for the fun you might have, for the friendships that you might forge that may last a lifetime. If not, do it to show off your truck. If your truck looks like crap then do it to learn from someone who has done what you want to do to yours

Anyway, off of that tangent and on to another. I apologize for the length of this post but you're gonna have to kinda get used to it cause I tend to do it a lot lol. Sorry in advance. If you didn't read this far to begin with well then you missed the apology and it sucks to be you lol

I would like to try and eliminate the issue of all of us being spread out so far in the state by creating Chapter Divisions. Like in Baseball or other Chapters even!

I need your input though. I will create a poll requesting your opinion on how many divisions we should have and what areas should be included in each division.

I will also need volunteers to lead each division. I will need the assistance of those of you that live in each division created to rally the troups, help organize meets in your division, help get Ford Truck owners to come to the site etc.

Each one of these "Division Leaders" will assist the Chapter Leader with these duties in their respective areas and will be part of an elite squad of rogue agents who are trained to kill . . .oh sorry, got a little carried away there.

As a sort of incentive however I was thinking maybe I could send you guys like some of my wife's company's baked goods. She has a small baked goods company that she started from home and she makes pretty much anything from cookies to muffins to loaves(sp?) etc and they are extremely good! Bias, I know. But get over it lol

So yeah, it would be like a book of the month club type of deal only it wont be books and it probably wont be monthly since sending something to each of you every month would cost like a trillion bucks lol

It will be more like a "Surprise muffin or cookies of the once in a while club"

okay so I will post a poll to ask your opinion on the division thing and then I will post a "Volunteer Here" type of thread once we figure out the whole division thing.

How does this sound to everyone? My genuine hope is that this will serve to build up the chapter and satisfy its members.

Thank you guys VERY VERY MUCH for reading this far!!!
I am new to the chapter and just got around to reading this post. My Son (Southern Blues) is also a member. Anytime you have something going in the Dade/Monroe/Broward County area please let us know. E-mail is thsarge2002@aol.com

Old 11-29-2008, 08:49 AM
felixr
Elder User
Awesome thanks dude. Ill keep it in mind. Appreciate it!

Old 12-01-2008, 12:11 PM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Felixr,

You have a great idea, but as you can see from the responses, you're not going to get a lot of folks to pitch in...

This is, after all, Florida. The land where most people don't know their neighbors. And most will not go to an event unless they know someone else that is going...

The geographical distances are most of the problem. You're in south east Fl, I'm in central Fl. The drive time to Miami is over 4 hours. So 8 hours round trip plus gas. Or 8 hours around trip, gas and a hotel room stay. In Miami no less (sorry to those from that area, it's just not my favorite place to be). That's another problem, most people not from Miami, or the south Florida area, will not go there more than once. That's my personal experience. It's the same for people that come from South Florida to Orlando. Most will not do it more than once....

Splitting the state in to sub-chapters is a great idea. But, you will end up with say, 10 of them. Each of them will have the same problem you are having now. Lack of participation.

There is just too much to do in each local area. Take me for example. I have the choice of going motorcycle riding, jetskiing or playing golf on a weekend. Place those up against an 8 hour drive to attend a truck rally with folks I have never met and will likely not see again.... Well the answer is obvious... I will admit, I go to Harley rallies all over the country. But, you're talking apples and oranges when it comes to Harleys and trucks. Harleys presents a common bond between riders. It's an instant knowledge that you ride a vehicle with a long history.

Ford trucks do that for some, but not most. Most people are not going to keep their current truck for 15 years or longer, like harley owners do. A truck is a conveyance, something to do work in, something to move from place to place. Where as a harley is a recreational activity machine (also used to get to work, but it's somehow more of a pleasure to ride there).

That, I feel, has a lot to do with why you just won't get much participation.

Now if you had a rally for Harley owners that have Ford trucks, I'd go to that. Well, riding my harley, not driving my truck. The truck is used to haul my trailer and harleys when I don't have the time to ride the bike to an event....

Just one person opinion...

Old 12-01-2008, 12:38 PM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Why not a weekend G2G once every 3-4 months in different parts of Fla?

Old 12-01-2008, 02:17 PM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by wildcard30
Only if it was a harley/ford G2G, and not in South Florida (sorry guys).
Do one in North Fl

Old 12-01-2008, 02:25 PM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperSnake
Do one in North Fl
Sorry but I won't , like fexilr has been doing... I've been involved with other organizations and attempted to do stuff like this...

You get usually get a very small turnout the first time and less then that the second....

The only ones I will organize now are benefit poker runs and veterans events... Like the 22nd annual Florida Vietnam and All Veterans Reunion. With these type of events, you will always get a good turn out...

You want to a Florida Chapter event, do it in the Veterans Reunion. This way vets could go to the reunion, and the Chapter to get a few people, already at the Reunion to maybe (that's a BIG maybe) show up.

Here's the link to the reunion... 22nd Annual Vietnam and All Veterans Reunion

Old 12-01-2008, 02:30 PM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by wildcard30
Sorry but I won't , like fexilr has been doing... I've been involved with other organizations and attempted to do stuff like this...

You get usually get a very small turnout the first time and less then that the second....

The only ones I will organize now are benefit poker runs and veterans events... Like the 22nd annual Florida Vietnam and All Veterans Reunion.

With these type of events, you will always get a good turn out...
Poker runs can be done for truck too.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:42 PM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 157 Likes on 93 Posts
Exactly, tie the G2G with a charity event.

So what if a few show up, you have to be able to promote the chapter some way. Take lots of pics and post them in the chapter threads to generate interest from those who didn't attend. It does work!

Just being negative all of the time does not promote the chapter at all.

SoCal is the prime example of what a strong leader can do to promote the chapter and create an atmosphere where others will want to participate. But you need 1 or 2 members willing to help the leader.

Maybe the challenge is too great for FL members to jump start their chapter. I just don't know. I'm at a loss at this point.

Quick Reply: Volunteers Needed!!