Diesel Question from a Gasser Guy

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 08:07 PM
crew02
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Diesel Question from a Gasser Guy

Hi Guys,

I work at an Auto Auction, and had a F 350 brought to me to see if I can get it running.

It is a 2000 F 350 XL, 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel, Automatic Transmission, Manual Shift 4 x 4, showing 75,000 miles on the odometer. No signs of any aftermarket tuners or exhaugst. Looks as though it was just a work truck.

To start with,I put 2 new batterys in it, as the old ones were junk. The truck will turn over fine, but will not start. The wait to start light goes off after a minute or so. It sounds like the glow plug relay is clicking. I checked the fuel filter on top of the motor, and it is full. I had someone cycle the key on and off to see if it had fuel flowing to it, and it did. Tried shooting WD 40 down the intake tube, had this work before to get hard diesels to start, and nothing. Tried giving it a little bit of starting fluid [ hated to do it, as I know that is not good to use starting fluid ], and nothing, not even a pop.

Is there any way that the motor is not in time, like a chain or gear jumped a tooth?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me

Mike

Old 07-10-2008, 08:10 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
what does the tach do when you crank it over? If this truck hasn't had the recall done on the CPS you could very well have a bad one which will cause a no start situation for sure.

Actually if it hasn't had it done I would have it replaced just because even if that is not your current problem but it may very well be. Not to hard to replace them and only takes about 10 minutes.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:17 PM
liftedgrocerygetter
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont know if this is right or not but I would check the oil level in the top of the HPOP. If I remember right it should be no lower than an inch from the top. If this is way off base I am sorry, damn girls never know what they are talking about LOL

Old 07-10-2008, 09:33 PM
crew02
Junior User
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
what does the tach do when you crank it over? If this truck hasn't had the recall done on the CPS you could very well have a bad one which will cause a no start situation for sure.

Actually if it hasn't had it done I would have it replaced just because even if that is not your current problem but it may very well be. Not to hard to replace them and only takes about 10 minutes.
I will check this tomorrow with the scanner hooked up to it.

Originally Posted by liftedgrocerygetter
I dont know if this is right or not but I would check the oil level in the top of the HPOP. If I remember right it should be no lower than an inch from the top. If this is way off base I am sorry, damn girls never know what they are talking about LOL
Where is the HPOP resiour located?

Old 07-10-2008, 09:36 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot
HPOP is on top front of the engine, probably has a plastic cover bolted to it covring it and the fuel filter.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:43 PM
xgatorx1976
Senior User
I dont think its any of the above stated problems, if wd40 nor either fluid didnt make it try to start you must have other problems. You can run a diesel on wd40 without having a hpop, or working fuel pump. Im far from a powerstroke mech. but thats my opinion from working on older IH-FORD, and CAT motors.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:35 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts
Don't forget to check the obvious- blown fuses. Could be a bad IDM?

Old 07-10-2008, 11:49 PM
robs01f250
Elder User
i would replace the cps as well. That is a very common weak spot in these trucks

Old 07-11-2008, 05:45 AM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Originally Posted by liftedgrocerygetter

Don't be sorry ma'am, you're learning a lot here. But with the aid of WD-40 or ether it will run momentarily without even having the HPOP installed. But with a bad CPS nothing will aid it in starting. Thats the very first place to look. If the WTS is operating it's not the # 30 fuse, so stick a CPS in it and get back to us.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:08 AM
xgatorx1976
Senior User
With a good or bad cps, either will make it fire. Its not like the cps is trigering a spark plug. You could unplug the main wire harness one person crank, one spray either and it should fire and try to run. You dont need and of the electronics for it to run on either.

If the tach moves when cranking the cps is good. I would look else where.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by crew02
I will check this tomorrow with the scanner hooked up to it.
Best check for codes and go from there. Any sensor malfunction or otherwise will be stored in your truck's internal memory. At this point we're just throwing rocks in the dark until we know what the truck has to say about it.

But, for some good reading:

PowerStroke diagnosis

PowerStroke Diagnosis

I gotta credit Robin (paytonPSD) for this fine little picture that lists 7.3L PSD starting requirements:

Old 07-11-2008, 12:53 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot
Originally Posted by xgatorx1976
With a good or bad cps, either will make it fire. Its not like the cps is trigering a spark plug. You could unplug the main wire harness one person crank, one spray either and it should fire and try to run. You dont need and of the electronics for it to run on either.

If the tach moves when cranking the cps is good. I would look else where.
That was why I asked what the tach was doing.

and your comment about ether will make it fire even if everything is disconnected is ONLY true if you spray it directly into the intake manifolds but if you try to spray it through the turbo and intercooler it MAY but probably won't make it try to start unless you have some type of fuel being introduced because at that point of going through the entire system it's gassous and actually doesn't provide enough to fire. So unlless your taking and spraying directly into the spider on the cold side you will NEED to have some fuel from the injectors thus if the cps or hpop are inoperative it won't even try.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:42 AM
crew02
Junior User
Punt ?

Well I checked all the fuse's, and they are all good. The tach barely moves when you crank it over. I put the scanner on it, and looked at datastream, and it is showing like 150 or so rpm when cranking over. Not sure what else to look at on a diesel.
There was one code [ don't remember the # ], was a KAM code [ Keep Alive Memory ], which I would imagine set because the batterys' were dead. I cleared this, and it hasn't came back.
I am shooting the WD 40 and or Starting Fluid into the air intake tube just off the air filter housing lid. This has worked on other trucks for me, be either PowerStroke, Cummins, Duramax or CAT.
You guys got any other idea's ?

Thanks

Mike

Old 07-13-2008, 08:45 AM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Originally Posted by crew02
Well I checked all the fuse's, and they are all good. The tach barely moves when you crank it over. I put the scanner on it, and looked at datastream, and it is showing like 150 or so rpm when cranking over. Not sure what else to look at on a diesel.
There was one code [ don't remember the # ], was a KAM code [ Keep Alive Memory ], which I would imagine set because the batterys' were dead. I cleared this, and it hasn't came back.
I am shooting the WD 40 and or Starting Fluid into the air intake tube just off the air filter housing lid. This has worked on other trucks for me, be either PowerStroke, Cummins, Duramax or CAT.
You guys got any other idea's ?

Thanks

Mike
Sure wish you would not use ether. WD is bad enough, but ether is horrible.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:56 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 842 Likes on 641 Posts
Try what Monsterbaby has already suggested - spray directly into the throat of the spider.
If that doesn't work, then it sounds like the engine is not cranking over fast enough to fire anything.
The diesel engine relies on compression to heat the combustion chamber hot enough to get to the ignition thresh hold. No spark plugs, just squirt the fuel in at the right moment and they run. Crank too slow = not enough heat to cause ignition.