AC clutch not engauging

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2002, 03:39 PM
padutch
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC clutch not engauging

1990 Bronco and the AC clutch is not engauging. How do I determan what the problem is ? And if I have to replace the clutch how much would it cost?
Thanks Much
PADUTCH

Old 04-27-2002, 10:15 PM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AC clutch not engauging

Providing your clutch is'nt burnt up you might want to check a few thing's first check the a/c fuse see if it's good then look over system check for an oily substance at connections,lines,condenser and compressor it's possible you might be out of freon most systems shut down when the freon is low thus the clutch will not engage good luck

Old 05-01-2002, 12:31 PM
rickdb1
Freshman User
AC clutch not engauging

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 01-May-02 AT 01:33 PM (EST)]Try running a wire from the Battery HOT to the HOT side of the compressor connector. (You may have to remove the connector on the compressor and run a Negative AND a HOT wire to it if that's not possible) If the clutch is good, it will kick right on. Don't run it very long until you can verify with gauges that it has enough freon in the system. If it does run, odds are that it's low or out of freon. The compressor has a built in low pressure switch, that will not allow the clutch to engage if the freon level is too low! If it does not go, chances are the compressor and the clutch should be replaced! Good Luck,

Old 05-04-2002, 05:36 PM
padutch
New User
AC clutch not engauging

With your help I was able to determan that the clutch on the compressor does indeed work. So now I started to tear the complete system out of the Bronco and will put it in my F250. Looks like it will bolt right in. So a couple other questions.
As I will have the whole system apart I will flush it. I have the proper stuff but I think I read somewhere that you should not flush the compressor. This seems to defeat the whole purpose of the flush. Maybe I read wrong. Can someone shed some light on this matter. One other thing. While the system is apart and out on the floor of my shop I would like to preassure test all componets. What preassure can I put in the parts so as not to blow them apart?
Well enough for now but thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Old 05-04-2002, 06:24 PM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AC clutch not engauging

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 04-May-02 AT 07:25 PM (EST)]What ever you do do'nt pressure test or flush anything every place that you opened a line seal it off the system has to be free of moisture and kept clean as possible!!!! When you go to get the system recharged they will draw a vacum on the system and check for leaks before they add freon and oil

Old 05-04-2002, 08:52 PM
nitro94
Posting Guru
AC clutch not engauging

The only items that cannot be flushed are the compressor, accumulator, and any line with a muffler on it. I service a/c units daily and see no harm in flushing. It will remove old oil from condensor and evaporator. Keep all components sealed from debris until installed. Replace accumulator. It is a filter. Replace orfice tube. Drain old oil from compressor. Add 6 ozs. of new oil, 2 in suction side of compressor and the rest in the accumulator. rotate compressor drive plate 12 revolutions after all lines are in place. This will get the oil you poured in it off the pistons. If converting to R134 use motorcraft PAG. Ester oil is ok also, I prefer PAG. For lubing new o-rings use ONLY R12 oil. Pag oil on fittings will cause future frozen fitting connectons, guaranteed. Vacuum for at least 45 min. This will boil out moisture from service work if the ambient temp is over 60° Fill R134 at a 20% reduction from R12 capacity.

Old 05-13-2002, 12:25 PM
fordrulz
New User
AC clutch not engauging

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 13-May-02 AT 01:25 PM (EST)]NITRO94

What do you use to flush the AC system out with? Mine was in a mild front end collision, however, it was hard enough to damge the condensor and the radiator. They reccomended changing the line too. I do not know what contaminants got into the system, and would like to know your reccomendations.

THANKS

Old 05-20-2002, 11:16 AM
Syzle
Senior User
AC clutch not engauging