1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

97 E Superduty (E450) Ambulance Remodel

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 08:57 PM
TPM
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 E Superduty (E450) Ambulance Remodel

This forum has been invaluable to us keeping a 97 7.3L PSD running for five years. I keep getting the prompt to participate in the FTE forum and make my contribution. Well I have a big one coming so here is the list of all the things we just tackled.

In May the fuel pump banjo sprung a leak and so we parked it and set out to fix that. The injector wire harness connectors looked a bit ragged and one had a burned connector (glow plug wire). Might as well fix that while we're in there. Had to disconnect both batteries to work on the glow plug circuit (safety). Those battery post clamps were looking worn and probably should be replaced. Frame mounted battery box was rusted in a few places and looking ragged. Positive battery cable to the lower battery was too short to change the connector and turned out to have 4 splices in it already. Might as well replace the cables with larger cable and redo the connectors. Been meaning to move the front battery to the back frame also, to get space up front for a positive bus bar and two large perko battery I|O switches. Might as well do that also. $800 of #2/0 cable later and the remodel continues.

Here is the list. I will follow up with the lessons learned later.

12VDC and 120VAC Systems
Moved the front engine start battery to the rear rail along with engine 2nd battery (OEM)
Added 2/0 AWG battery cables (+ and -) to each engine battery
Added 2000A cut off switches for both batteries, switches located where engine battery was located
Added 900A cutout switch to front two truck jumper
Added new alternator source cable to battery isolator, under seat, isolator charging circuit
Reconfigured aux batteries, removed from inverter, teamed with engine start and module(Distribution Board)only
Added 2 4D marine deep cycle batteries in M2 cabinet (modified cabinet to 2 compartments, upper for inverter and other electronics, lower for batteries
Replaced Freedom 1000 inverter with Xantrex MS3000 Pure Sine Inverter
Removed Inotec 12VDC and replaced with DC-DC regulator (VGA screen and USB hubs)
Upgraded shore power from 30A to 50A
Added CB panel for SP and separate, post inverter house CB panel (behind attendant seat)
Separated block heater from xfr switch and added shore pwr only maintenance receptacle in cab
Added GFI bypass switch for using shore power without GFI
Added 120VAC receptacles - driver seat, rear deck (bumper), PC rack
Relocated ALS receptacle (120VAC) to walkthrough storage cabinet (7x24 battery chargers- DeWalt)

Acronyms
CB= circuit breaker
SP= shore power (plug into the house)
xfr switch - switches truck 120VAC power from inverter to shore power when connected to 120VAC
CPR seat (left side of gurney to allow attendant to perform CPR while enroute
AA -Attendant Area (desk in back)
Attendant seat jump seat in back
ALS - Advanced Life Support (cabinet in back where defib and other life support equipment is stored)

Engine
Replaced fuel pump
Repaired Injector Glow Plug wire harness
Replaced glow plugs
Replaced all hoses and gaskets associated with above

Cab
Reupholstered seats
Replaced flooring (pending delivery of flooring)
Replaced steering column
Replaced backup monitor
Add side camera monitors
Replaced backup camera
Installed new keyless entry, alarm and autostart (autostarts on low battery)
Added HD map lights

Module
Added access control (keypad)for Module unlock, lock
Removed CPR seat and replaced with Middle Atlantic SR 40 Space Rack (PC, Printer, DVR, DVD, UPS)
Replaced flooring
Added removable storage cabinet

Lights and signals
Replaced headlamps and lenses
Reconfigured secondary emergency lights (lower ambulance lights) to be turn and stop signals
Replaced running lamp assemblies
Ordered new 6x6 light lenses (the big red and amber ones)

I have a 1000W inverter, control panel and xfr switch available if you know anyone that wants one. Its a Xantrex Freedom 1000 (Ambulance), 12 VDC

Old 07-08-2008, 09:34 PM
WALJON
Posting Guru

Pretty cool ! do you have some pics I wouldn't mined checking it out?

That would make a nice splice truck for in the winter months.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:08 PM
TPM
Senior User