1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Drivetrain Ideas for the 1957 F-100

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 08:58 PM
ramracer21
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivetrain Ideas for the 1957 F-100

I have access to three of the largest salvage yards in South Florida with hundreds of cars, trucks, and vans. I want to install a Ford drive train on my 77 Volare front clip but Im not sure what to do. I was hoping you guys with experience on this could give me some ideas for engine/trans combos. There are a bunch of 302s and 351s last time I was there. I want something with power that will not complicate my life (like something that has a ton of computers and sensors for example.) There are many mustang 5.0s, some later model explorers with 5.0s, bronco 351s, and other ford trucks, vans, etc. Also, this will be working together with the 1999 Explorer Rear Axle I am planning to install. Your ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Erik

Old 07-08-2008, 05:57 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you are performance oriented and want to keep it simple I'd go with a carbureted 351. If more into cruising and better gas mileage then the 302 might be better. Use an AOD tranny and plan on mounting the engine an inch or two closer to the passenger side to allow more room for exhaust and steering regardless of which way you go.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:46 AM
ramracer21
Freshman User
Vern,

I have noticed many people have trouble with the Volare Steering Box when putting headers. Thanks for the tip. I will be out of town for week, but when I get back I hope to select my engine/ transmission. Im going to try and locate a nice 351 but who knows what I'll find when Im actually there. I will let everyone know what I go with. Thanks again for the info.

Erik

Old 07-08-2008, 08:28 AM
8bahead
Senior User
choose wisely lots of good info on this site. These old trucks are heavy and need tall gears in the rear to get em movin, if you choose the small block good choice but use a higher gear ratio 3:43 plus is a good number to start with. Anything less than that and you'll have a gas slug. I Had a 3:00 ratio gear in my 53 f-100 302-c4 combo, thought I had a good cruiser but it turned out to be a gas slug! I have the volare clip on my truck, I used the late model mustang shorty headers,they fit high and tight and exit behind the cylinder heads. Good Luck!

Old 07-08-2008, 08:52 AM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What's wrong w/ the original set-up, I-6 or Y-Block?
Either are buildable for both performance & MPG rather easily & as Everyone & their dog does what you are propossing, why not be Different & keep the Olde Girls original set-up.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:02 PM
ramracer21
Freshman User
Flashman,

I bought the truck with the Volare setup already. It had a 318 that was no good. The original setup would have been neat but at the stage that Im starting I dont think I can go that route. But if it would have been in there all original I would have left it alone. Thanks for the advice though. I will save that for the next project.