Bronco II Ford Bronco II

1986 bronco 2 fuel pumps

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 07:36 PM
broncojack
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 bronco 2 fuel pumps

hello, my 1986 bronco2 dies out sometimes. i think its a fuel pump problem, would a fuel pump do this just some of time, or is it something else. i also believe its the pump on the frame rail that is bad . any thoughts????????????

Old 07-07-2008, 09:40 PM
mrshorty
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would be more inclined to expect a fuel pump to just up and die, not fail intermittently. In the case of an intermittent pump failure, I'd be more inclined to look for a loose connection or bad relay in the fuel pump circuit. This, of course, assumes that you have properly determined that it is a fuel delivery problem and not something else (like a failing TFI module that often exhibits intermittent faults like what you are describing).

Old 07-12-2008, 09:24 AM
lawnboy58
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like mrshorty said could be the tfi module, but I have also had the fuel pump in the tank quit working and the bronco would die (feels like it's running out of gas) and after it sets for about 30 minutes it will start up and go again. I believe what happens when the pump in the rear quits is the pump on the frame rail gets overheated and doesn't work properly, however you should be able to hear the pump on the frame rail kick in when you cycle the key on & off.You can pull the fuel line that feeds into the frame rail pump off and watch it while someone turns on the key & you should see fuel squirt out. If not the pump in the tank has quit. I've had TFI modu;les go bad & usually your bronco will die occasionaly and start right back up & it will get progressively worse meaning dying more often untill it wont start. Youy can check for spark when it dies and won't start to eliminate the module problem. I've also had a pickup coil in the distributor go bad but it just quit and that was it. If your fuel pump is not running, the one on the frame make sure and check the inertia switch which is located under the passenger side carpet at the top of the carpet it has a reset button & you can jump across the two wires to eliminate it for testing purposes. Fuel pump won't run if it's bad. Hope this helps