1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

soap box time

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 06:39 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sometimes I get the feeling people just post, to feel a sense of participation, even if they have nothing to ask or say. I usually look at the number of posts on the topics, or who started the topic. If I see 60 views, on 0 posts, more than likely I'm not even reading it. When I see certain names of people who have posted that give great info, etc. , then I'll open it and read it. Maybe I'm wrong for doing that? Seems it saves me time avoiding reading the blah blah blah stuff.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:38 AM
55 dude
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
doing a search is great! i have found when on the hunt i usually end up sending a pm to the person that posted the thread and if i don't understand the posted info try to get a phone number to clear up any questions. this method has saved me lots of headaches in the past and plus i have met some great folks.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:49 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Search does work well...in fact I was searching about "Rants" and came across this thread!

Old 07-06-2008, 09:33 AM
JDMick
Senior User
You ARE an old timer. I don't think I even had the internet in 1997. Anyway I concur with your rant but I wouldn't count on anyone, especially the noobs, listening. My suggestion would be to go to a slightly updated format for viewing the forums. A couple of other chat forums I frequent show several lines of the text instead of just a couple of words when you put the mouse over the topic (without clicking on it) so it's a rarity that you end up clicking on a topic that doesn't interest you. I don't know what an upgrade like this might cost but it makes viewing forums a lot better in my opinion. Are their any administrators listening?

Old 07-06-2008, 10:12 AM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whats a search engine?

Old 07-06-2008, 10:40 AM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Being roughly John's age and not yet old and crusty, I find, as so many of us do, that we agree with him. In principle. Principle being that this is a site wherein we inexperienced and hopelessly lost tyros come for help and really experienced and knowlegeable folk help us.

The other side of the coin, as Ross points out, is the social, good times kind of sharing thing we have come to enjoy. There are many friendly folk here with kind words and "sympathy" for the utterly lost. The down side of this is how we have lost some really funny talented guys to boredom.

Search engine, smearch engine. Doing research takes effort and is a lonely quest at best. Chatting it up with your pals is somewhat better... you might not get results but get some sympathy in its stead. How does this help?

Since my ordination I've tried to take a kinder look at the other side of the rant. We can forgive a new guy for poorly titled posts. Once. So much for kindness.

Now go out there and pay attention to what you are doing. Bwahahahahaha.

talking out the side of his mouth, himmelberg

Old 07-06-2008, 11:11 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
tyros? I had to look that word up, lol.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:01 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 713 Likes on 257 Posts
JD.... I agree with the new software.... lots of the boards I frequent have the first few sentences showing when you hover... I asked Ken one time and this version of his software doesn't support I don't think... would be nice.

Peter, once again you've expanded my viewpoint, knowledge base and vocabulary. I really wasn't trying to attack... just giving a slight to medium nudge.

but as you said so politely

Now go out there and pay attention to what you are doing. Bwahahahahaha.

thanks for nuancing my rant...

later
John

Old 07-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Red face

Originally Posted by Old F1
I am Guilty.!!!!!! .................................If I promise not to do it again will you please let me stay?

I disagree about the search feature, even with the correct thread headings, it can be inefficient, time consuming, and very frustrating to use.

I agree with Jon too, but I definately agree with Old F1 too. I cant seem to get the STUPID search feature to work right!! I end up searching all kinds of junk and get really frustrated! Fortunately, I found out if I happen to remember the person's name who posted the thread originally I can find any post they put up and then click on find every post by this person. Then I can find it. I am still a techtard and have trouble with this dumb computer stuff.

As Old F1 said, I'm guilty too, but please forgive me!! I'll try not to do it again!!

Old 07-06-2008, 06:55 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Homade,A search engine is the rare,four cylinder motor Ford produced for our vehicles after the Flathead,but before the Y=Block.It used to have its' own section in the Forums,next to the Inline Six section,but so few ordered that option,and fewer still are even familiar with it,it was decided to erase it from our collective conscious.Steve.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:13 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ibuzzard
Homade,A search engine is the rare,four cylinder motor Ford produced for our vehicles after the Flathead,but before the Y=Block.It used to have its' own section in the Forums,next to the Inline Six section,but so few ordered that option,and fewer still are even familiar with it,it was decided to erase it from our collective conscious.Steve.
As found in this Ford Prefect Ute.

Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2008, 07:22 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Uh,yeah,that'd be the one.By the way,Havi,you wouldn't happen to have an adjustable power band in your stash of S.E parts,would you?Or some of the correct Blinker Fluid?

Old 07-06-2008, 07:27 PM
xfordman
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everything you could possibly discuss about Ford trucks has been discussed here at one time or another.....so, no more posts, just use search....Rod

Old 07-07-2008, 08:40 PM
fiddysixF
Senior User
Originally Posted by jniolon
what type of hubcap grease the Argentinian truck builders used in the '46 models. So 6,000 people open the thread and finding out they haven't got a clue have wasted some time and I have less time than hub cap grease.
thanks

John
Polyunobtainium. Black polyunobtainium.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:11 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 713 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by fiddysixF
Polyunobtainium. Black polyunobtainium.
nah..... couldn't have been that... black polyunobtainium wasn't even found until July 7, 1947... on the outskirts of Roswell, New Mexico... little short fellow with big eyes came up with it... said it would be absolutely the best lubricant known to man... resistant to high heat, radiation and government coverups... also cured lumbago and gout... last time anyone saw him he was selling it out of a station wagon in the desert... disappeared suddenly...hmmm

Mulder:"Tell me I'm crazy!"
Scully:"Mulder, you're crazy."

later
John (the truth is out there.....)

Quick Reply: soap box time