1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Radiator upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 03:38 PM
AKFORD4x4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radiator upgrade!

Hey guys, I was tired of my truck running a little on the warm side while in traffic or crawling on a trail a 2 mph so I found a radiator from an 84 Diesel. Its 4 core and about twice as big as my radiator now. Anyway, They bolt right in, your truck has the factory holes just waiting to be filled with this radiator. Anyway, awesome upgrade for the cooling system, my truck runs nice and cool even on the hottest days or under the hardest loads. I also got another tranny cooler and piggybacked it into my existing cooler and now I have 2 tranny coolers to keep my C6 alive, about a 10 minute upgrade also. HEAT is the number one killer for trannys and many other components, soooo KEEP IT COOL

Old 07-04-2008, 03:55 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I also did this upgrade to my 1981.

I put the full super cooling Radiator in mine.

The Radiator support will bolt a narrow or wide radiator in place.

However, it is adviseable to swap radiator supports on truck with the narrow radiator, because the narrower radiator support has a smaller opening up front than the "wider" support does. The extra opening for the larger radiator lets more air to the fins, therefore cools even better.

Then you can upgrade the fan guard to a fan shroud, and replace the flexfan with a fan clutch as well.

Very happy with my conversion, and it cools really well. And it's all stock parts.

Picks of radiator, shroud, and fan clutch are in my gallery.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:13 PM
srercrcr
Postmaster
If the truck came with a/c the super-cooling radiator is quite adequate, but I'm happy for ya.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:47 PM
northern 7.3
Temporarily Deactivated
dont use the trans cooler in the rad, just a separate cooler. i had the cooler in the rad crack and fill my trans with antifreeze. i got a big cooler now and it runs the trans cool even when towin heavy loads.