Sponsored by:

79 400 overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 11:38 AM
QCIGUY
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
79 400 overheating

My 79 bronco started overheating this weekend. Was wondering how to track it down. I pulled the thermostat and have ordered a new one with water pump but I am wondering if there is a way to check the pump. It has a new rad in it so I am fairly certain it isn't that. The top rad hose is hot and the lower is cold so I am thinking Pump

Thanks in advance

Old 07-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
the rad is new new or new used? if the bottom hose is cold that makes me think that its clogged. usually if the Tstat isnt working the top rad hose would be cold but the bottom should always be hot. but i guess it could be the water pump, they just tend to weep when they go bad unless they are clogged of course. have you checked your plugs to make sure your not burning any coolant in the cylinders?

Old 07-01-2008, 10:38 PM
QCIGUY
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no i haven't, The engine runs great. I think I am going to use one of those thermal cameras to make sure it is hot. you would think there would be steam in the exhaust if it was burning water or a lot of air in the rad for a head gasket wouldn't you or are you thinking cracked block?