Competition Diesel racing, sleds, dynos, power tuning and max performance.

Been to a few sled pulls

Old 06-30-2008, 10:17 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Been to a few sled pulls

Not as a participant but a spectator. Seen diesel an gas trucks go at it. However not to many Fords unfortunatly. Hopefully in the next few weeksthere will be more. Havent pulled myself but might here in August will see. Any off you out there pulled or attended a pull. How have you done? How about the Fords in the pull how have they done?

Old 07-02-2008, 09:21 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
I cant believe 1 person on here hasnt been to a sled pull. Unbelievable. Here i thought i would get several replies by now. Here a guy talks about his sled pulling an gets two pages off replies an I get nothing. This forum has sured slowed down latly. So whaere are you guys at. Must not be any interest anymore.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:50 AM
ecky
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was at some pulls two weekends ago. Mostly Dodges, especially in the modified ranks. I think Duramaxes took 1,2, and 4 in the street. In the tug-o-war event though, nothing but Fords. Then again, only 4 guys registered for that.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:33 PM
beanhead6D5
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 150ford
I cant believe 1 person on here hasnt been to a sled pull. Unbelievable. Here i thought i would get several replies by now. Here a guy talks about his sled pulling an gets two pages off replies an I get nothing. This forum has sured slowed down latly. So whaere are you guys at. Must not be any interest anymore.

Don't worry there is a guy local that is putting the dodges and durasacks to shame,he has a 6.0 that suprise the hell out of people,but he knows how to set up his suspsion also.the only thing that out pulls is a set up cummins.the dodge and chevy guys here think that big intake,exhaust and a chip is all they need.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:00 PM
DirtStripHero
Senior User
If you look at the gassers it is almost all ford and chevy. There is a simple reason why cummins dominates the diesels, they have the most cheap aftermarket and are easy to work on.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:15 PM
halerazor
New User
duramaxes and cummins dominate sled pulling. the fueling system onthe fords suck. there is a guy here in ohio named corey atley that had a 6.0 and had it build to the hilt and still could not win any pulls he would finish in the top 5 consistantly best running ford i've seen besides double overtime(mod 7.3) . corey now pulls a mod truck truck(cummins), but if the truck he built couldn't dominate then i can't believe there will be one that will.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:15 AM
DAFBFD58
Posting Guru
I will tell you this from pulling my self, best 265' locked out in first. If I had a MT I would get better grip and need a way to get the wheel speed up faster. As for diesels...... Dodge rules. I hate to say that but its the truth. For what it takes to build an old 12v inline 6 cyl. dodge motor is chump chage compaired to the PSDs. The motors are easy to work on, don't require alot of motor work to keep them together for the lower HP numbers(400 is the highest I would go with out working on the heads and studs) and when you do build a high hp motor its cheeper to do so. I can take a newer 24v Common Rail 5.9 toss and intake, smarty programmer, new injectors, a FASS fuel system and lets just go for the cool factor 4" pipe from turbo back into a 6" wide stack for about 1500 give or take. I can see around 400 easy with out tweaking. Now adjusting something timing and fuel settings with the smarty and tinkering with the turbo I bet I could see more. To build those numbers in a PSD I would need twice that just to get close. If the rest of the dodge was built like the motors I would be driving a dodge just for those reasons above. I am still thinking about saving the money I was going to use to buy a newer diesel and get some put put car to drive while I tear out the 5.4 and drop in the cummins into the truck. I know a few guys have done it and love it. I look at it that you get the best of both worlds. A great designed/put together truck and a well thought out drive train. I know the swap will not be an overnight process and will not be easy, but the aftermarket is coming around. Hell Painless wireing has developed a wireing harness for the 24v dodge motor allowing it to work with any type truck. So when I get mine done I will no longer be stuck to one track to pull at because of the weight of my truck.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:19 PM
beanhead6D5
Posting Guru
god I hate to say it but you guys are rite I used to turn wreches on 9000's and some road tractors that had a few big cams,turn up the fuel and a straight pipe and they would twist the body like a one leged duck on take off.on my small town end not a whole lot a cummins out there lots of duramaxs,and a lot of gassers but the dodges hold there owen.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:01 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Well an update. Went to a muddrag competition today. That was exciting. Plenty off Fords pulling here. I was really impresed with a flarside 79 Ford truck. It really kicked *** an left a lot off Chevies in the dust. I talked to some off the cometitors running those Ford mudraggers. One kid I talked to.He was pretty cocky. He run an older 76 Ford with a bored out 460 with a high performance cam. Give it that rumpity rump sound. He left a lot off trucks in the back with that truck. He was telling me the Chevy guys really hate itwhen he wins. Then there was this one kid in this Chevy who was just a plain pain if you know what I mean. This guys with this Ford beats him. Claimed he got a slow start an the race was unfair. So they did it again. Can you imagine that. Oooh the guy in the Ford was hot when he had to do it again. I thought there would be a fight. Man I hate that . My version is if you cant play fair get out off the sport. What a *****. Ugg it ruins for everybody. When Im in any sport for competition. I am a friend first an competitor second.We compete but we are also friends End off discussion. In this sport friends are way better then enemies. You might need help an somebody will help you. Other then this incident it was agreat muddrag. Its very addicting. Sorry for the long post. Just sharing some things I did today.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:46 AM
Redneck-Cowboy
Elder User
Originally Posted by 150ford
My version is if you cant play fair get out off the sport.
Lol, take a real....REAL good look at those mud-draggin trucks, not the mods, but the factory stock and stock class trucks, lol...........not a lot of ppl play fair in that sport on the lower end, all you have to do is find a way to keep your vacuum, some even sneak vacuum pumps on. Not saying everyones a cheater, but it's getting pretty bad. At least in truck pulling they tech the heck outta you if your running a gas motor (around here anyways) so everybody has to know how to setup there suspension, know how to drive and know how or else have th checkbook to get the most power outta the parts your allowed to work with in your certain class.

Cummins and Duramax (Duramax as of last year) rule around here, most of the PSD's have just given up in the mod class, some still pull in the stock. If you wanna get into mod diesel you buy a cummins b/c they're cheap, if you wanna win you just put more money into the cummins and it holds together (to an extent, some guys have tore em down and balenced em, got a high performance rotating assembly and can turn 5500rpms+) but those are way past ever seeing the street agian.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:06 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Yah Chris I agree. Anything to win. Its very competitive out there no matter what auto sport your in to. Kind off like antique tractors. Stock went out the window a long time ago there. Pure crazziness if you ask me. Yah I agree Ford is not the best truck for winning diesel pulls out there for sure. But its nice to have a Ford in there to mix it up a bit. In the gas class though Fords are represented an do quite well. The Freak can testify to that. As well as Chris an Jeff. An when you get your pulling truck finished youll represent it well too.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:02 PM
blakem_85
Senior User
I've got a 2wd gas pullin truck, just got it together this year. I pull in the light and heavy modified "street" 4x2/4x4 classes so i get to run against the diesels every now and then. Theres not any street driven diesel I've seen that can run with it, pretty much takes a ITPA caliber diesel to be competitive with out hot gassers. The diesel guys don't like getting beat by a gasser either .

heres a vid YouTube - Truck Pulling Fairfield, IL 2008

Old 01-14-2009, 05:43 PM
blakem_85
Senior User
Originally Posted by blakem_85
pretty much takes a ITPA caliber diesel to be competitive
or an equivalent, basically too modded to drive on the street safely

Old 01-14-2009, 11:35 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Nice pull man. Its getting me pumped for the season. Cant wait.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:45 AM
ford-harto3457
Junior User
i see there is a video on youtube of a guy pulling with the 4.9l. my 150 has a 4.9 and is bored over with a cam and going after a 4 barrel intake set up and header, its a pretty stought little engine. if set up right could a guy stand a chance on the track with the bigger gasers and diesels?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Been to a few sled pulls