Sponsored by: DP Tuner

High pressure oil pump?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 07:32 PM
FORD MEGA CAB!!!
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High pressure oil pump?

Hello, Im usually in the pre-stroker section but I have a question for yall. First off, Im not new to the 7.3 powerstrokes so get as detailed as you can get. My parents live 300 miles away from me and they have a 2000 Ford f350 W.7.3 ps. They said it has quickly deveoloped a sever oil leak at the top of the engnie but still runs fine. (i know its not the oil cooler). My dad went and took it to the stealership for them to check it out and they said its the high pressure oil pump. Out of the many hp oil pums I have changed, I have never seen the actual unit leak. I have seen the fittings and 0-rings leak, ipr leak, ICP sensor leak, ect but never the actual pump. Well anyway they said it would cost them around $1500 just to replace the pump. I told him that I don't think its the pump and they are going to just sell you a new one and replace the bad fitting. I also told him to get it back from the dealer and just let me come down and check it out and if it actually needs one we can change it for way less than a grand and still have money for our vaction at the end of july.
Main question here is, Has anyone seen the High pressure Pump itslef leak and how bad and did it effect the performance???

If so, can it be fixed by a seal kit or does it need a new pump. Truck has about 75,000 miles on it. I want as much feed back as yall can possibly give me. Thanks ahead of time.

Also, All the high pressure oil pumps and all other work I have done on the power strokes have been in ups box trucks so its very easy to access. What would yall say about the dificulty of changing it on a pickup. Thanks

Old 06-27-2008, 07:38 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Odds are you can fix it. It's probably either a fitting or the so called non serviceable plug. I would guess O-ring and some lock tite for the fix. Is there anyway you can walk them through finding the leak with an inspection mirror and flashlight?

Here's a couple of links I've got handy on common leak repair assuming it's not the lines that are leaking. If it is, then it's just a couple of O-rings and your back in business.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...fferently.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...look-here.html