Marvel Mystery Oil ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 03:09 PM
a BigR HamR
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marvel Mystery Oil ???

Gonna try and crank my 272 this weekend...been sitting 6+ years (54 F100). Seen suggestions on this forum for using Marvel Mystery Oil prior to attempting to start. I'm not real clear on what exactly I need to do with it. Not looking to pull the motor apart (at least not yet) just trying to get it fired up and then make an assessment as to how to proceed. What should I be doing here...pull the plugs and use a few drops of oil? Sorry to be clueless...would appreciate a few more details. THX

Old 06-27-2008, 03:43 PM
Joe Johnston
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marvel Mystery Oil

Pull the plugs and pour a LOT into the combustion chambers. Funnel and hose works great. MMO is good stuff and if a little is good more is gooder. You should have enough to completely submerge the pistons so it thoroughly penetrates the rings. Let it set for at least 24 hrs and then try to rock the crank a little with a socket and breaker bar. Go back and forth several times increasing the rotation. Give it about a half turn and put in more oil in the cylinders that took the least and let it set another 24. It wouldn't hurt to drain the engine oil at this time and fill the crankase with MMO too and then turn the oil pump with a drill (counter clockwise) for a while to pump oil to the top of the engine. Let it set another day, drain and add fresh engine oil and filter. Turn over by hand a few times and if it feels free spin it a bit with the starter. If you fuel is fresh, put in the plugs, wipe up the mess and try to fire it up, outside in the evening when the mosquitos come out. Good luck. Mine sat 17 years and fired up, but a year later bent a push rod (original 1/4 dia) but perhaps I over revved it??? Good luck.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:35 PM
matt2491
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pouring Mystery Oil in my '64 F100's 292 which sat for 14 years in an old factory got her running again no problem. Now she purrs nicely...

Old 07-09-2008, 12:22 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
I sort of disagree on using MMO in your engine. Is your engine completely frozen?

Just pull the plugs and put some regular oil in each cyl. Remove the dist and make up a drive to turn the oil pump (hex or blade type?) It should be HEX since there's no such thing as a "54 272" If it's a 239 It may be a blade type drive.

Change the oil and use your pump driver to turn the pump (CCW) with an electric drill.

Put a direct reading gage on the engine so you can observe the oil pressure. Have the valve covers off so you can observe oil flow to the rockers.

MMO is basically not a mystery. It's naptha and light oil (mostly naptha) Because it's a solvent and not lubricant, you don't want it in the crank case.

If you put solvent in the crankcase and start the engine you run the risk of breaking free sludge that's been there for years. This sludge could plug oil passages, clog the filter and starve crankshaft and rod bearings...

I know, I know, A lot of people have had this "Snake" oil sitting on their shelves since they were a kid. I know someones Dad, Uncle, Cousin, Brother, Friend, etc etc etc uses/used it for years with "no problems" You don't really need to use anything in your engine that causes "no problems"

Just change the oil with a good 30wt or 15W40 oil, put a new filter on it and pre-oil it with the drill/drive before you crank it.

Cheers,

Rick