1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Brighter headlights conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 06:22 PM
jaye
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brighter headlights conversion

I was inventoring my items to see what if anything I;m missing to do the conversion. After inspecting my wires I compared them to the 14ga. wire I purchased and noticed that my current wires are 14ga. (EZ wire wiring harness) My question is would it make a big difference if I just ran a wire across the cab from my battery and install the relay as directed in the conversion. My concern is that the 3-4 ft piece of wire from the battery to the wires will cause power loss & defeat the reason for the conversion.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:08 PM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
lights

I had a 1997 Blazer and it had three relays on the top center of the firewall, engine bay side. The battery was near the radiator.There are formulas for determining wire sizes, just google them or better yet call EZ wiring, their harness, their tech support should be able to give you expert advice. If you have a start relay on the fender, attach current wire to start relay post, battery side. Easier than to the battery direct. Have a great day,chuck

Old 06-23-2008, 07:17 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jaye
I was inventoring my items to see what if anything I;m missing to do the conversion. After inspecting my wires I compared them to the 14ga. wire I purchased and noticed that my current wires are 14ga. (EZ wire wiring harness) My question is would it make a big difference if I just ran a wire across the cab from my battery and install the relay as directed in the conversion. My concern is that the 3-4 ft piece of wire from the battery to the wires will cause power loss & defeat the reason for the conversion.
what are you going after in the conversion? I just did mine, with relays at the grill, and power direct from the battery. The normal headlight wires from the cab trigger the relays. This takes the power drain off the Ezwire harness.

I am installing the H4 halogens, and maybe HIDs on top of that.

Sam

Old 06-25-2008, 06:49 AM
redpanhead
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The purpose of this conversion isn't about suppling more power to the headlights(it doesn't do that). What the conversion does is bypass the headlight switch to power the headlights. Most headlight switchs can't handle the power(amps) draw thru it without overheating and eventually burning up. With the conversion the headlight switch just acts as a signal source for the relays, which draw considerably fewer amps.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:02 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by redpanhead
The purpose of this conversion isn't about suppling more power to the headlights(it doesn't do that). What the conversion does is bypass the headlight switch to power the headlights. Most headlight switchs can't handle the power(amps) draw thru it without overheating and eventually burning up. With the conversion the headlight switch just acts as a signal source for the relays, which draw considerably fewer amps.
The relays assure that full voltage reaches the headlights, they are very sensitive to it. Older headlight switches (especially 6v) can handle the load, there's just too much wire run when you add up all the runs to the switch, the dimmer switch, etc.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:09 AM
jaye
Posting Guru
Thanks for the info