6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Diesel in Mexico ! !

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 02:57 PM
OZX1
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MeyerzF350
92 gallons + 20 = 112. How did you figure 150? At empty and $310, that would be $2.77 + the risk, time and mileage to get to Mexico. Did you pay for the one day car insurance? Don't get into an accident if you didn't. The driver's in TJ are frekin NUTS!!

I guess if you live in a border town, drive lots of miles, this make sense to some extent. Coming back from TJ last time took me 4 hours. I won't be making this trip in the near future unless I have a fishing trip planned.

The other thing you should consider is fuel quality. You may end up changing fuel filters sooner.

Overall, I think $5/gallon and staying in the U.S. will do me for now.
A big ROGER THAT on all points... The fuel is clean and pure just like US fuel--at the point of production... It's the transportation tanks and storage tanks that have the potential to contaminate the crud right out of it.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:38 PM
motocaptain
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MeyerzF350
92 gallons + 20 = 112. How did you figure 150? At empty and $310, that would be $2.77 + the risk, time and mileage to get to Mexico. Did you pay for the one day car insurance? Don't get into an accident if you didn't. The driver's in TJ are frekin NUTS!!

I guess if you live in a border town, drive lots of miles, this make sense to some extent. Coming back from TJ last time took me 4 hours. I won't be making this trip in the near future unless I have a fishing trip planned.

The other thing you should consider is fuel quality. You may end up changing fuel filters sooner.

Overall, I think $5/gallon and staying in the U.S. will do me for now.
I also topped off my stock tank which was low ! yes i purchased the 1-day ins. Drive takes 3/4 tank round trip. 20min wait to get out, when i went over there was no line @ all, next trip i will leave a hr earlier.. I am crossing over at Algodones next border east of mexicali..

Old 06-20-2008, 05:43 PM
OZX1
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by motocaptain
I also topped off my stock tank which was low ! yes i purchased the 1-day ins. Drive takes 3/4 tank round trip. 20min wait to get out, when i went over there was no line @ all, next trip i will leave a hr earlier.. I am crossing over at Algodones next border east of mexicali..
Yup... You're in AZ... Yuma I suspect, or somewhere close by--maybe as far away as Parker if you use 3/4 of a tank to do the dead. You have it easier than we do up the hill. The north out of TJ thing is a massive wait, and the fuel has run dry (for non-Mexico plates)...

Old 06-20-2008, 06:59 PM
adambomb
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adambomb
my bad here is the link again. basically an article saying what you guys already have been posting.
SignOnSanDiego.com > News > Mexico > Tijuana & The Border -- Shrinking fuel supplies causing mad scramble

Old 06-20-2008, 10:02 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
The friend of mine who has been going over told me this morning that his wife went accross yesterday to fuel up, and when returning the customs folks asked for a receipt on the fuel they bought. They didnt have one, so they were told that there was going to be a $25 fee of somesort on the fuel. He didnt understand what it was all about from her so his waiting to speak with a friend who went with her to see what this is all about. guess they want to now make $$ since many are bypassing the $5 a gallon stuff and the greed needs to be fed! Dont know if this is supposed to cover road taxes or what, will let ya know when I find out.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:19 AM
OZX1
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Hank85713
The friend of mine who has been going over told me this morning that his wife went accross yesterday to fuel up, and when returning the customs folks asked for a receipt on the fuel they bought. They didnt have one, so they were told that there was going to be a $25 fee of somesort on the fuel. He didnt understand what it was all about from her so his waiting to speak with a friend who went with her to see what this is all about. guess they want to now make $$ since many are bypassing the $5 a gallon stuff and the greed needs to be fed! Dont know if this is supposed to cover road taxes or what, will let ya know when I find out.
Federal and state governments stand to lose a chunk of change if folks aren't paying fuel taxes. The federal tax is 18.4 cpg (cents per gallon) and the state tax vary by state. To check your states rate, look at Gas Taxes
For me, the fuel tax on one tank is over $10.00. That kind of lost tax revenue (multiplied by tens-of-thousands of vehicles) would tend to worry any government. It's just too bad they don't always do with the fuel tax revenue what they're suppose to do...

Old 06-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
here is a link to todays paper on an article on buying fuel in mexico.

Buy gas in Mexico, save bucks, but beware | www.azstarnet.com ®