2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shadetree Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 08:47 PM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Shadetree Oil Change

My 2007 F-150 now has 4300 miles on it and a year on the oil (about 2650 miles), so I picked up the Motorcraft oil and filter and had at it yesterday morning. The dealer did the first change free at six months (1650 miles) so this was my first time under the truck. I have the V6 with manual transmission. Vey well designed and built underneath - lots of aluminum castings - oil pan, transmission/bell housing, lower control arms. I did spill oil with both the filter and drain plug, not knowing which way oil would fly, but I'm ready for next time. The V6 oil drain is on the passenger's side of the vertical-sided oil pan, so oil shoots out a pretty good ways rather than going mostly 'down' - at least it doesn't hit any part of the truck on the way down. I quickly moved the pan! The filter dribbled a few ounces when loosened and I had to move that pan too. You really can't do both the filter and drain plug from the filter location if you're on your back, but since I'll be changing oil only every June (unless I start driving it more than 3000 miles a year), its not a big deal - I'll start the oil then do the filter instead of doing the filter first like yesterday. I could have taken the filter off with my bare hand but just automatically put the end cap tool on it, being surprised when it turned effortlessly. I think this is too loose, although it had not leaked. When I put the new one on, I tightened it by hand, then gave it about 1/8 turn with the tool just for that 'comfort level'. You can't really get your hand around it for a good grip because of clearance, so I didn't trust that. I use FP-10 gun oil on oil filter and drain plug gaskets and have no problem getting them off. The drain plug was quite tight - I had to bump the end of the 1/2" drive ratchet to break it loose - probably a little too tight for the aluminum pan. I'll see how the FP-10 works to keep that little O-ring lubed next year. So far I really like the Motorcraft synthetic blend oil. Even the used oil felt extremely slippery. I use Mobil-1 in my other vehicles that get driven more, but plan to keep using Motorcraft in the truck. After a year and 2650 miles of mostly short trips, the oil was brown but still transparent in film (like on the back of the dip stick after it runs down), which indicates to me that it had plenty of life left. I'm very satisfied with this truck and particularly happy with the 4.2L V6 and Mazda 5-speed manual - I think if I live long enough to break in the engine, I could get some really good mileage on the highway if I put on a bed cover. I'm getting 16-17 around town now. Okay, so much for this totally boring tale!

Old 06-18-2008, 10:28 PM
lilmustangboy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how the hell u manage to put such low miles on ur truck?? im jealous lol

i did my oil on my '06 f150 on the weekend and boy was i cursing the filter placement... had to stab the bugger with a screw drive to get her loose... but i put a fram in her so it should be easier next time.....

i changed the oil after only 30 min cool down time and my plug came loose with a quick jerk.... so maybe warm the motor next time so as not to risk stripping the bolt.... just a thought..........

Old 06-19-2008, 08:26 AM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The oil was hot. The plug was over-tightened.