Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New braking issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 03:19 PM
redfire42
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New braking issue

Just a few weeks ago I changed my front brake pads. Drove around for a week then went camping. On the way home had to stop at a red light that went from green to red, and had to stomp on the brakes. Stoped pretty darn good too. When slowing to turn on to my road the brakes started to sqweel like mad. I might have a slite worp but not much. brakes been sweeling ever since. On Sunday I pulled that side ( drivers side) off and took pads back to where I got them, Advanced Auto. They gave me 2 pads to replace them and when I put those on it sweels even more then before and now it has a nice pull to the drivers side. I greased all my pins. This is not my first brake job. So what do I do? I don't want to buy new brakes and rotors and like I said my rotors don't seem worped.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:55 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you have your rotors turned when you changed the pads? They may be glazed over.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:29 PM
redfire42
Posting Guru
No I was told I didn't need it and if I would do it it could worp even faster.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:06 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you used the "heavy duty" pads that some companies sell, they are going to squeal. Compound is too hard. They will last forever, but their noisey. I tried AutoZones heaviest duty lifetime pads several years ago and changed them out two weeks later because I couldn't stand the noise. And you are correct about turning the rotors on a superduty, not heavy enough to start with. I just changed over to PowerSlot Cryos and Hawk pads and so far I love them. Never stopped better and good and quite.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:39 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Something that worked for me before with my motor home and Car:

Swapped out pads on my wife Focus with new pads, Next day wife complaining they squealed. Took off calipers and scuffed up the rotors with some 150/200 grit sand paper. It worked kind of like honing a cylinder for pistons. De-glazing. Just a thought, Maybe try it before you spend big bucks.

Used my palm sander also before. Quicker. Real quick scuff just enough to get the shiny off when i change pads and not rotors

Could be the pads also. Like said above. But if that was the case those would go in the trash. I hate squealing brakes.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:11 AM
redfire42
Posting Guru
I did change out that side and there still nosiy but doesn't pull to that side anymore. Some one told me to put some lub or something between pad and caliper but I never heard of doing this. I will have to try the scuffing and see if that works.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:11 AM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
I found this on yahoo. Car Care Specialties, Inc. - Your Source For Quality Car Care Products, How-To Articles and Product Evaluations.

I do use antizeeze. somtimes on the pads metals. Tiny bit to cut down on the rust and keep things working freely. Never thought i might have been quieting down the vibration noises and then read it in an article.