1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Sea Foam in brake booster line?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 09:20 PM
vze2sgxa
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by alloro
Why are they all laughing?
Sorry, it was rude of me to laugh like that, I'm just really opinionated about this subject. I've been on record in many of these 'seafoam' posts as not agreeing at all with putting it directly into the crankcase (or even into the brake booster.) I've seen many people - including people claiming to have an explaination for why it is 'safe' - but having been an engineer for 35 years, and knowing many triboligists (oil and lubrication engineers) and chemists, there is no way that any of us would agree that diluting your crankcase oil for any reason - and then running your engine with it - makes any sense to us. If you want to take a risk at potentially ruining internal bearings, it would be easier to just drain the oil and not fill it back up and then run the engine - same principle. I don't mean to be disrespectul to those who feel comfortable doing this procedure; go ahead and run it in your engine. Me: I only use it in the gas tank. That's it. Again, sorry for laughing, I just can't imagine why people believe that this helps your engine in the long run. More power to those that do.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:10 PM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Look at it this way, if your engine has restricted oil passages then it's not getting full lubrication anyway. In using Seafoam (or other cleaners) you're opening those oil passages and restoring full flow to the bearings.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:14 PM
Gage2502
Fleet Mechanic
What to do, What to do....
~Gage~

Old 06-11-2008, 10:17 PM
SPreston2001
Senior User
Originally Posted by vze2sgxa
Sorry, it was rude of me to laugh like that, I'm just really opinionated about this subject. I've been on record in many of these 'seafoam' posts as not agreeing at all with putting it directly into the crankcase (or even into the brake booster.) I've seen many people - including people claiming to have an explaination for why it is 'safe' - but having been an engineer for 35 years, and knowing many triboligists (oil and lubrication engineers) and chemists, there is no way that any of us would agree that diluting your crankcase oil for any reason - and then running your engine with it - makes any sense to us. If you want to take a risk at potentially ruining internal bearings, it would be easier to just drain the oil and not fill it back up and then run the engine - same principle. I don't mean to be disrespectul to those who feel comfortable doing this procedure; go ahead and run it in your engine. Me: I only use it in the gas tank. That's it. Again, sorry for laughing, I just can't imagine why people believe that this helps your engine in the long run. More power to those that do.

Nobody is recommending that you leave the stuff in your engine for a extended period of time, but it does clean out your motor. My Expy always runs better after a SeaFoam treatment. As long as you change your oil shortly after adding it to your crankcase, your motor will be fine.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:45 AM
vze2sgxa
Senior User
Originally Posted by SPreston2001
Nobody is recommending that you leave the stuff in your engine for a extended period of time, but it does clean out your motor. My Expy always runs better after a SeaFoam treatment. As long as you change your oil shortly after adding it to your crankcase, your motor will be fine.
Right on! Power to the seafoam users!!

Old 06-13-2008, 05:26 PM
eallanboggs
Elder User
I buy Seafoam by the gallon. It's cheaper that way. If you add Seafoam to a vacuum line(BB) you not adding it to the crankcase(not that there's anything wrong with that). The vacuum line leads to the intake which ends up in the combustion chamber. The more carbon build up the more it will smoke. If you do add Seafoam to you crankcase do it before a pending oil change so it is flushed out with the old motor oil. If you do periodic Seafoam flushes from the time an engine is new the carbon buildup will be minimal. This is especially helpful on 2 stroke engine which burn oil with the fuel so they are prone to carbon buildup especially at the ring lands.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:43 AM
Ginzu
New User
Where is the brake boost line on a 97 Expedition located? Does anyone have any pictures of it?

Thanks,
Ginzu

Old 06-23-2008, 09:18 AM
SPreston2001
Senior User
I copied this pic from a user on another forum site I visit. Its located on the driverside and is secured by a clip. The pic shown is a 4.6L if you have a 5.4L it should look very similar.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Ginzu
New User
SPreston2001,
Thanks for the response it is exactly what I was looking for. Seeing that picture and the location of the line drives me to ask "how does putting Sea Foam into the brake boost line access the combustion chamber?"

Thanks,
Ginzu

Old 06-23-2008, 05:10 PM
eallanboggs
Elder User
Do you know how the basic 4 stroke cycle works? Do you know how this type of brake booster works? It would probably be a good idea if you could answer these questions BEFORE you start adding Seafoam to your engine(not that it's a bad idea) just because you read it will help it run better. You betray your experience levely by the type of questions you ask.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:43 PM
Ginzu
New User
eallanboggs,
Thanks for the informative response. I am glad that you are here to help.

In response to your question, no I do not understand how this type of brake booster works or I would not have asked the question.

Ginzu

Old 06-23-2008, 05:55 PM
pitrow
Elder User
Ginzu, don't sweat eallenboggs, some people would just rather be a$$es than help people.

Basically, the brake booster line is attached to the engine manifold and uses the vacuum of the engine to charge the brake booster using a one way valve (it's the little black thing at the end of the line on the right side of the circle in the picture above). So if you disconnect the line from the one way valve, with the engine running, it will be sucking air through that line. You use this vacuum to suck the sea foam into the intake manifold where it's distributed to the cylinders.

It's pretty similar to pouring it into the throttle body, but easier to do this way.

Last edited by pitrow; 06-23-2008 at 05:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-23-2008, 10:23 PM
sbclemens
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use a funnel and add half a can as quickly as possible to the vacuum line without stalling the engine. Turn off the engine and let it sit for about half an hour. Add the rest of the can to either your fuel tank or crankcase (only if you're going to be changing the oil very soon). Then fire up the engine and drive like a maniac. You may experience a huge black cloud coming from the exhaust so its best to do this on a windy day or at night.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:09 AM
Gage2502
Fleet Mechanic
Would adding Sea Foam to the brake booster clog the oxygen sensors from all the carbon flowing out of the exhaust?
~Gage~

Old 06-24-2008, 09:12 AM
SPreston2001
Senior User
It may screw with them for a little bit and cause your check engine light to come on, but it clears up after a few days of driving. No sweat.

Quick Reply: Sea Foam in brake booster line?