1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

272 Y-Block Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 10:41 PM
restoringmy46
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
272 Y-Block Question

I'm having alittle trouble with my 272 getting gas sometime's. First time out yesterday and it ran great. Parked it for about 30 min's and started it up went about 100 feet and it died on me. Cranked and cranked and it wouldn't start. Had to pour gas in the card to get it to start. Ran fine the rest of the time I had it out. (only about 2 hrs) It done this last summer to and drove me crazy. Sometimes it will do it after driving for awhile and you turn it off and start it back and it does it again. I thinkl it is trying to vapor lock on me. Last year I cleaned the carb and put a new fuel pump on it and it stopped it. But it is doing the samething to me again this time. Everything is original set up on the motor, it is still 6 volt to so I'm afraid to crank it to much so I don't run the battery down. I don't have a fuel filter on the gas line either, would this be something I need to do. Also the gas line is ran the original way to so it is close to the drivers side head (about a 1" or so) do I need to try and move this out some. I can try to bend it alittle to get it away from the head somemore. I need some help b'c my wife will not ride in it until I get it fixed and drive it around some to make sure we will be able to get back home. "ANY" help or idea's would be great. Thanks

Scott

Old 06-02-2008, 11:18 PM
56efffie
Elder User
Hey Scott, I would start with adding a fuel filter for sure, Its possible that crud is hanging around in the system and only popping up now and then starving things. Just get the universal inline type at your local parts store and put it between your pump and carb. Be sure to pay attention to the arrow on the filter for correct fuel flow direction. Hope this helps

Old 06-02-2008, 11:31 PM
restoringmy46
Elder User
56efffie, just look at your gallery and my gas line is runs like your which I new it would but do you think they run pretty close to the head and my try to vapor lock though. I am going to add a fuel filter to my line b/c when I cleaned the carb there was some crud in it. But I think your right on the filter I should have all ready had one on it. You've got one good looking truck there.

Scott B.