speaking of t-chains

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 11:39 PM
wizzard351
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
speaking of t-chains

i know timing chains have been beet to death here and evyone says to get a "real" strait up chain but i have a new chain and gears here that have all the advance and retard keyways at 2* each what would happen if ya run a stock cam at 2 or 4* adv? i know i should know this but im very tired and the minds not workin great today

Old 07-09-2008, 11:21 PM
jnp
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brand new

Advancing valve timing will shift peak torque lower in the rpm range. the opposite is true for retarding valve timing.

With a "daily driver," there would not be much to take advantage of.

However, speaking from experience, using the advance and retard provisions that are built into lower end cloyes and alike timing sets is not a very precise way of adjusting valve timing.

If you do adjust valve timing, be sure to double check by centerline degreeing method.

There is always concern for piston to valve clearence when advancing valve timing; with a stock configuration you probably don't need to wory about it though.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:20 PM
straightsix4x4
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just put a stock timing chain from an older 460 with straight up timing, I ordered mine for a 1970. I never ran it with the stock one but its supposed to be a huge difference, for an otherwise stock engine I can't beleive how much power this thing has.