Smoking Carb?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 08:26 PM
ReadOrDie_DW
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoking Carb?

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>OK well heres the problem...
I just redid all the wiring in the engine bay under my 84' 150, all the wiring is good now, the distibutor (slp?) just went out and I replaced it with one that is supposed to go in the truck, it has no control module but that doesn't seem to be presenting a problem (since this engine doesn't require one with an electronic distributor).

Anyway, the problem is that smoke will come from the carb after every revolution of the motor and it will not start, I keep adjusting the distributor but it still won't start, it is turning over just fine also. Any ideas?
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 05-26-2008, 08:37 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,682 Likes on 1,375 Posts
Recheck TDC/distributor position, you could be 180 degrees out.

Recheck fireing order. Check rotor rotation direction first, make sure you didn't go backwards.

You got fuel and fire otherwise?

Old 05-26-2008, 08:51 PM
ReadOrDie_DW
Junior User
fuel and fire yes, rotor is rotating clockwise (as I believe it should...?), firing order is correct as far as I know (1-5-3-6-2-4), TDC is set right (checked it like 5 times :P). the only thing I have yet to do right (I think) is the distributor position (not the rotor button which is pointed just above no# 1) the distributor is roughly pointed at the driver side fender wall (by this I mean the plug-in for the wires). This is the only thing I can think of as being off, obviously its not firing right because it will backfire though the muffler or carb (depending on where the dist is pointed) what am I missing here other than the actual position of the dist (which I tried my best to copy from the old one)?

EDIT: also, tomorrow I will turn the rotor button around intil its facing 180 degress opposite, its now 10PM and too dark to do so

Old 05-27-2008, 08:01 PM
ReadOrDie_DW
Junior User
Turned the dist around 180 degrees and it started after the carb cleared up. Thanks for the help 85e150six4mtod.