Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Powerstroke puddle! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 12:13 AM
BOLINJORDAN
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powerstroke puddle! Help!

Had my truck idlin tonight and someone said ''dude theres alot of stuff coming from the bottom of your truck''. My truck had leaked atleast a quart of oil where it was. Enough to not touch the dipstick and maybe more.

Anyway, the oil is coming out right below the filter bowl cover and the water valve thing out of a large bolt which seems to have blown a rubber seal of some sort. Mines an 01. My dads is an 02 which has a washer instead of a seal. Im sure you guys know what Im talking about. Why did it do this and how do I fix it??

Ill check the thread tomorrow. Thanks

Old 05-24-2008, 04:14 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
0 rings do go bad... first thing to do is clean every thing up and look for the leak..then come back tell us where it is and then we can help you...there is too many things to leak for us to answer a question like this..

Old 05-24-2008, 09:47 AM
BOLINJORDAN
Senior User
I started it up and it is squirting out where I just said. There is a bolt right below the filter bowl in the rear more towards the drivers side. It comes out as a steady stream when I start it up.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:11 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Is coming from the one marked "PLUG" here?
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...ml#post5735476

If so, don't despair, there's an easy fix. It involves some brake cleaner and LocTite. (And, yes, an o-ring, too!)

Pop

Old 05-24-2008, 10:51 AM
BOLINJORDAN
Senior User
Yes thats definitely it. You think I could use a regular O ring to drive it this weekend until the ford shops are open? Nobody has it thats open and the bieg places that would are closed and it memorial day weekend. I gotta have it.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:01 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Do you have any LocTite? If not, LOCATE some, 'cause that's the key to this not leaking.

I've found the o-ring isn't nearly as important as the LocTite used on SPOTLESSLY-CLEAN threads. Clean? Did I say SPOTLESS? Absolutely oil-less would be more accurate.

See this thread:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...fferently.html

That was over a year ago, and it's still perfectly dry.

Make sure the oil isn't still dripping out of the plug hole when you do this. The threads HAVE to be... Oh, you know...

Also, be sure to only apply the LocTite to the first three or four threads on the plug, however, because you DON'T want any inside the HPOP! Give the LocTite a few hours to fully cure. A day would be better.

Doing this job without the LocTite will have you doing the job again this afternoon. Doing it with oily threads will have you doing it again tomorrow.

It's not the prescribed way, but you want something to get you through. This is what "got me through".

Incidentally, these o-ring kits are available MUCH cheaper on ebay.

Pop