S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Memorial Day - Going out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 11:33 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Memorial Day - Going out?

Anybody got interesting travel plans for the holiday? Or has the price of fuel made you stick at home?

We're pulling the TT for a 4 day weekend. It'll be $300 for fuel, but WTH you can never get back the days that have passed. We'll see the Mule Days parade in Bishop and just hang for the rest of the time.

I hope you all enjoy the weekend.

Bill

Old 05-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Saturday my Son and I are picking up one of his buddies from our old neighborhood so he can stay overnight.

Got some friends coming over on Sunday for some swimming, grilling, and swilling!

Monday I plan to do as little as possible, definitely nothing productive.

I usually don't go too far out of town on Holidays anyway. The price of fuel has not changed our travel plans at all this year. I do hope it keeps at least a few of the bonehead drivers at home though.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:50 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Kepler4
Got some friends coming over on Sunday for some swimming, grilling, and swilling!
That sounds good too. You also cannot retrieve time missed with family and friends. I'm regrettably too lazy in that area.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:56 AM
dsquared
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saturday is our daughter's 25th b-day. She lives in Goleta, so we are headed there Friday night, and staying thru Monday AM. We are hoping the weather doesn't wash-out the Chalk Festival in Santa Barbara Saturday!!Got 3 adults and two teenagers driving up, and then we will add my nephew and niece for the ride back. I figure about $150 for fuel, it's $500+ for the motel, and then meals. Dang it would have been nice to pull the trailer to Carpinteria!! But the campground was already full when we tried making reservations 1-1/2 months ago!

Oh well, memories will be made!!!!

Old 05-22-2008, 01:10 PM
bigjimcruising
Senior User
Wish I was you guys! Fuel prices are definitely cutting me short on trips. Just can't afford those obscene prices for fuel! This weekend I would have stayed local anyway, don't like to travel much on the crazy holiday weekends. But sure miss traveling a lot the rest of the year! Did about 4 major trips just last year and several short ones. None so far this year and it ain't looking good until at least November. Happy trails to all you guys who can still get to do it!!!

Old 05-22-2008, 02:01 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Going to stick close to home this weekend. We generally stay off of the road on the big weekends.

September & October will be the big travel times this year. Dove opener in Yuma (that's one big weekend I will travel) followed by a trip up to Spokane later in the month, then in October a trip to northern Nevada for some Chuckar hunting.

My buddy up there says that the first time you go out for chuckar is the only time you really hunt them - after that you are merely seeking revenge.

Bill and Don, you guys travel safe!

Old 05-22-2008, 02:46 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
LOL, I hear that!

Saw a lot of quail up in Paso this last weekend. And saw one with about a dozen little chicks following her around. Cutest little things, about the size of a mouse right now. Still brown and yellow striped.

I don't hunt upland much any more, but rarely miss the Dove opener.

Bill

Old 05-22-2008, 04:36 PM
dsquared
Elder User
Steve:

Thanks!! I'm not looking forward to Friday afternoon holiday traffic, that's for sure!! I'll probably run the 210-5-126-101 trip to keep out of the SF valley!!

Have a great weekend!!!

Old 05-23-2008, 01:26 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 121 Likes on 117 Posts
Not going anywhere this weekend. No money and not eager to battle the holiday crowds. Well stay home and try to fix the Ranger.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:47 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 929 Likes on 677 Posts
Good idea to start planning early Bill.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:50 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Yeah, 7 years early at this point.

Going to be a busy 2015 spring for us. We're planning a long weekend in the Sierra's for the trout fishing opener, which is always the last Sat in April. Then I've got a long weekend for a pig hunt on the Jack Ranch in mid-May. Then the first week in June we're taking a 7 day cruise to Glacier Bay, AK. With all that, I think Memorial Day will be a rest-up weekend.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:36 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
You guys are packing a lot of fun into a short time span! You'll love Glacier Bay. Lotta' whale watching in that area, too, up close and personal!

Annnnnd, sometimes just staying home is the best thing you can do for your mental health!

I like to leave Amateur Day to the amateurs!

Pop

Old 05-26-2017, 10:11 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Another year in the books. But no need for a new thread. Just hunt one down and tag it.

Anyone got interesting plans for the holiday weekend?

Carol and I are going to head to the El Paso mountains and stomp around. Probably start at Burro Schmidts and meander around from there.

Old 05-26-2017, 10:24 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 929 Likes on 677 Posts
Schmidts will be a good trip; take some pics of the homestead, I'm interested in seeing how it's weathering time and tourists.

We'll head up to Pine Mtn Club for some hiking.

Attached Images    
Old 05-27-2017, 09:49 AM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Just got back from a little wheelin.
Went up Golar/Coyote canyon again up toward Barker ranch.

Quick Reply: Memorial Day - Going out?