Modern Flathead

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 07:20 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Modern Flathead

With the latest trend toward more complicated engines (e.g. Ford going to all OHC engines), why not go the other way? Couldn't a company make a modern flathead and use a modest supercharger to overcome the inherent breathing difficulties? Would it not be able to pass air quality standards? Or would people just poo poo it? I think it would be great--a supercharged flathead six with modern fuel injection and electronic ignition. The supercharger would totally clear the exhaust from the combustion chamber (would need cross flow head) and cool the exhaust valves during valve overlap, then once the exhaust valve closes the injectors would juice it with fuel. And you could have dual spark plugs to ensure good burn on that extra wide combustion chamber. It'll never happen, but fun to think about.

Old 08-07-2002, 10:12 AM
doodaa
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modern Flathead

Sounds like something I might fork over a few $$$ for... if it was ever built.

Old 08-07-2002, 10:29 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Modern Flathead

Hot Dog! I finally got a response. Only took 359 days. Maybe we could (in our spare--ha ha--time) supercharge an old 40's Ford flathead six. Now wouldn't that be fun in a T-bucket rod?

Old 08-07-2002, 02:47 PM
doodaa
Senior User
Modern Flathead

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 07-Aug-02 AT 03:50 PM (EST)]Considering I wasn't a FTE member (or a truck owner) this time last year I think it's a pretty timely response! ;-) How did you bump it to the top w/o reposting? Or is it really that slow in this forum?

Um, what exactly is spare time?

I don't know much about super chargers but I'm always ready to learn something new... If I find out my flathead isn't rebuildable I thought about trying to put a T'Bird 3.8L SC motor in my '49... it'd be different. Would that unit work on a flathead 8 maybe?

Old 08-08-2002, 06:46 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Modern Flathead

I didn't know this post was at the top. I figured you were browsing very deep into the past posts. Might be able to retrofit the 3.8's supercharger. I expect there are companies that make superchargers specifically for the flathead V8. And there is a forum for them at this site where the folks would know how to help you set it up.

Old 08-08-2002, 10:27 AM
doodaa
Senior User
Modern Flathead

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 08-Aug-02 AT 11:28 AM (EST)]OK you caught me not really paying attention. I guess if you can call one page of topics digging really deep I was indeed doing that, didn't even notice the date of the post. :-) I just have this tendency to read everything I might be interested in on a site like this since there is much knowledge recorded here... some of it good some not but I read it all and decide what to remember, or try to remember where I read it when my CRS disease ain't too bad. I might even remember this discussion when I've had the flathead running for a while and decide I'm ready for a new project..... A supercharged flathead V8 in a '49 coupe would be a pretty good sleeper at a light next to one of those rice burners huh? Might have trouble keeping it hooked up though....

Old 08-08-2002, 10:37 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Modern Flathead

No, I guess I am the one not paying attention. Here I am telling you to check the flathead forum and we are already in it. That explains why you found my post not very far from the top. Seems there is not a whole lot of flathead discussion. But now I am thinking that you may get more info on hot rodding your flathead in the older truck forums for the years that the flathead ran (I think 1932 through what, probably into the 50s).

Well, if you can hook up with a blown flathead '49 the ricers would either have to give up or blow their little engines trying.

Old 08-08-2002, 10:41 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Modern Flathead

Actually, its my doing. I'm tagging old, unanswered posts. Trying to eliminate as many zero reply posts before we switch over to the new forum software.

Old 08-08-2002, 10:59 AM
doodaa
Senior User
Modern Flathead

Oops....

Sorry. Dump this one too if it'll help with the cleanup, I'll make a note to remember TP this time next year, might have something to really talk about then. ;-)

Old 08-08-2002, 11:23 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Modern Flathead

I second that motion.

See ya in General Conversation Forums DooDaa. There's a lot more going on over there. But do check out the '47 and older Truck Forum and maybe the '48-60 forum.

Old 09-13-2002, 09:20 PM
tcw
Junior User
Modern Flathead

i have a six cyl flathead that has throttle body fuel injection
and electronic ing. i was planning to install a turbo but i was afraid that the rods wouldn't hold up. they were only made for 6.8 to 1 compression.the engine seems to make good power, i haven't had a chance to put the truck on a chassis dyno yet.

Old 09-17-2002, 07:13 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Modern Flathead

>i have a six cyl flathead that has throttle body fuel
>injection
>and electronic ing.

What kind of truck is it in?

I agree the turbo probably is a bit much. Good chance the engine only has four main bearings too.

Old 09-19-2002, 09:02 PM
tcw
Junior User
Modern Flathead

the engine is in an 51 F5. i have a brownie aux trans that gives me 28% overdrive.

Old 09-20-2002, 06:12 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Modern Flathead

>the engine is in an 51 F5. i have a brownie aux trans that
>gives me 28% overdrive.

With an F5 I suspect your rear end ratio is upwards of 5.0, perhaps even pushing 7 or 8. Also what kind of body is on it, surely not a pickup bed?

Old 09-21-2002, 07:06 PM
tcw
Junior User
Modern Flathead

i have a 12' mahogany wood bed on the back. the truck has a two speed rear. 5.83 or 8.11.

Quick Reply: Modern Flathead