1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Another Idea...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 08:46 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another Idea...

Hi Everyone,
I have been giving thought to my plans for my 53 F-100. I originally planned on using the drive train from a 91 explorer I have bought for a donor vehicle. I also have a 302 that I considered building up and replacing the 4L V6 with. After much communication with the guys here I found out that it would be pretty hard to do even though I have a machine shop and welding equipment. I was told the tranny was barely able to hold up to the V6 let alone a built up 302. I later acquired an 83 F-150 with 4WD and a 351W. I was considering using that drive train but the tracking width on the front and rear are just too wide and would require a lot of extra welding and machine work. Today I got to thinking I might be able to work out something using the front and back axels and suspension from the 91 Explorer with the engine, transmission and transfer case from the 83 F-150. One problem would be that the Explorer does not have locking hubs. There may be a way around that. Another consideration is if the differentials from the explorer can take the bigger engine.
<O<OI am wondering if anyone out there has any thoughts or info on this idea and the components. The Explorer’s tracking width is workable on the 53 F-100. I was thinking of grafting the front suspension and axels as well as the rear to a really nice clean extra 53 frame I have.<O

Old 05-14-2008, 09:23 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Dave!, How about the 5.0 Explorer as a Donor? Some of them have the GT 40 cyl. heads an run pretty well. I would think they are still around in a 4-WD version..and getting cheaper everyday...

Old 05-14-2008, 09:46 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I think it's do-able and if you're not stomping on the gas in 4wd through knee deep mud, then the driveline should hold up. The bolt pattern behind the 4.0 is different than the 302 anyway, IIRC. The front axle can be remedied with aftermarket manual locking hubs. I put them on a 91 Explorer back in 1999, and I would hope they're for sale, still. The 302 can be mounted with CPP's tubular engine mount, but I'd make sure you have front driveshaft clearance before purchasing. The axles should be strong enough for a mild 302, and whatever trans behind the 351W will bolt up, but make sure the right flywheel is used. The '83 tcase is aluminum and doesn't mount to the frame like the heavy NP203/205 did. I guess if you can get the front axle mounted, everything else will fall into place. FWIW, a local here successfully mounted his F1 onto a 4x4 Ranger frame, though I haven't got a close up look yet. He also has a plow on it.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:37 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
I will second what havi posted. I use to tow a 5000# enclosed car trailer some longer distances (500-1000 mile tows) with my old 4.0 automatic ranger and also my 93 explorer. Just need a good aux trans cooler in those cases. I looked into replacing the front pushbutton hubs on the 90 ranger with Warn manual hubs and other aftermarket hubs since the early pushbotton hubs were a bit of a problem and parts not cheap. Note that I now tow with my 4.0 auto 2003 Ranger 4wd. The newer 4.0 are sohc and pull better than the old 4.0.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:26 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cmoritz
Hey Dave!, How about the 5.0 Explorer as a Donor? Some of them have the GT 40 cyl. heads an run pretty well. I would think they are still around in a 4-WD version..and getting cheaper everyday...
Hi Mertz,
That would probably be a good idea but I am a cheap guy and I have these other vehicles. This way, I will also be avoiding the computer stuff all together. The area I live in is still in love with 4WD in spite of the gas prices and they still go for high prices. They just sit in the driveways and wait for special occasions. The 302 ones are really rare here. Of course there is always the chance I would run into one before I get started on the 53. What I'm doing here is brain surffing through all the possibilities.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:49 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by havi
I think it's do-able and if you're not stomping on the gas in 4wd through knee deep mud, then the driveline should hold up.

The front axle can be remedied with aftermarket manual locking hubs. I put them on a 91 Explorer back in 1999, and I would hope they're for sale, still.

The 302 can be mounted with CPP's tubular engine mount, but I'd make sure you have front driveshaft clearance before purchasing. The axles should be strong enough for a mild 302, and whatever trans behind the 351W will bolt up, but make sure the right flywheel is used. The '83 tcase is aluminum and doesn't mount to the frame like the heavy NP203/205 did.

I guess if you can get the front axle mounted, everything else will fall into place.

FWIW, a local here successfully mounted his F1 onto a 4x4 Ranger frame, though I haven't got a close up look yet. He also has a plow on it.

As for the mud running, I'm old enough to be over that phase so it probably would never happen. My 2003 F-350 Dually is 4WD and it has never been in mud and it has the off road package. I just think too much of my stuff to do that crap. I just want the 4WD for the snow and moving stuff up out of the back yard once in a while.

You answered one very important question and that was about the front hubs being available, or at least they were.

I realize that there are all kinds of kits and options out there for mounting this and that. However, with my facilities and equipment I would rather make everything myself. It seems a waste to have all the welding equipment and a machine shop if I don't use it. I know it is not the fastest and most economical way when you factor in the time, but it's just the kind of stuff I like to do.

I have an extra 53 frame that has been cleaned off. All there is left is the cross members that were riveted in. It is in excellent condition and would look factory new if I blast and paint it. I was thinking of sitting it and the 91 Explorer fram side by side in the shop and start transfering stuff over one section at a time. My 53 is in tact so it can remain so for measurements. I also have an extra bare 53 cab to test fit with which will help avoid problems later.

I looked for a Ranger for a while but they are pretty expensive right around here now. Most have over 150K on them and are still going for more than 2K. I have sort of a rule, I never pay more that five-hundred for stuff like this. If I don't set limits I will end up spending way too much. Most of the stuff I get is either rusted out, is wrecked or has some drive line problem that no one wants to pay to have fixed.