A/C fan not working properly

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:08 PM
BadTriumph
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C fan not working properly

I was getting my fifth wheel ready for camping today and when I tried out the A/C, the fan just hummed. I pulled the covers off and gave it a little push and it turned like normal. When I shut the fan off and try to restart it, it does the same thing. The weird thing is that which ever direction that I give it a push, that is the direction that it spins. So it seems that the motor is trying to run in both directions at first and then runs in the direction that it is pushed after that. If I can't fix it, I can always leave the fan running the whole time we're camping. I'd rather just fix it though. Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be? I'm hoping to have this fixed pretty quick (and cheap). Thanks in advance!

Old 05-14-2008, 05:27 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by BadTriumph
I was getting my fifth wheel ready for camping today and when I tried out the A/C, the fan just hummed. I pulled the covers off and gave it a little push and it turned like normal. When I shut the fan off and try to restart it, it does the same thing. The weird thing is that which ever direction that I give it a push, that is the direction that it spins. So it seems that the motor is trying to run in both directions at first and then runs in the direction that it is pushed after that. If I can't fix it, I can always leave the fan running the whole time we're camping. I'd rather just fix it though. Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be? I'm hoping to have this fixed pretty quick (and cheap). Thanks in advance!
Sounds like a start capacitor problem on the motor. Giving it a kick start is the clue. That can be a failed capacitor, or it can be a centrifical switch problem. Either way, it's probably just in the motor. If you can get the motor out it's likely not an expensive repair. Sometimes they just need cleaning.

Bill

Old 05-14-2008, 06:29 PM
BadTriumph
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm pretty sure you're right about the capacitor. I pulled them out (there's three of them) of the unit and one of them is split with a bunch of junk coming out of it. Just so happens it's the one that has two of the five leads going to the motor. I ordered a replacement and hopefully it will be all fixed up.